can you change the opening background

Reaction score
Can you change the background of the opening screen of windows 10 or do you have a better choice of the welcome background Lorrraiine pppaluck

Reaction score
Not in Windows 10. We are stuck with that.

In Insider Preview build 10547, there is an option to "turn off " the background sign in picture. But it does not say if one can change to picture of our own choice. Anyway, that's only for the latest insider preview, not for Win 10 RTM.

Reaction score
Can you change the background of the opening screen of windows 10 or do you have a better choice of the welcome background Lorrraiine pppaluck

Settings, Personalisation, Lock screen .... Background, from the dropdown box (Picture/Slideshow) select Picture,
you should have a choice of pictures (these are stored in : Local Disk > Windows > Web > Screen),
you can add pictures of your choice to this folder (personal photos or downloaded from the web),
there are also additional themes to download from :- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/themes

Reaction score
The OP is asking about the Welcome Sign In background picture.
This one.....................
welcome sign in background..jpg

Using a 3rd party program to tweak the registry is not recommended.
Use it at your own risk.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is he asking about the desktop? what sign?

There are several options to change the desktop theme, if that is what is required

Right click the desktop - Personalise - Themes. ro
Yo can right click a picture of your choice, on your computer, and select it as your background.

Untitled.png

Reaction score
The last part of the OP's sentence............................

do you have a better choice of the welcome background

Reaction score
If so, then Bretts suggestion fits. You can also browse in that category, and select your own picture.

I currently have a mountain background, chosen from my own collection.

Reaction score
Background picture in the Welcome Sign In screen cannot be changed without a 3rd party program.

Show me a screenshot with a different picture in the Welcome Sign In page and tell me how to do it.

Reaction score
Here is my Welcome sign in page with my name etc etc including the word "Welcome".
Someone please show me yours with a different background picture by using Windows 10 own built-in program.

IMG_2230.JPG

Reaction score
Yes. I have to agree. The OP is (I think) referring to the login screen. (?) I bypass it so it is not an issue.

Ask a Question