Cannot Backup Win 10 system despite trying everything

Reaction score
Upgraded from Win 8.1 PRO to Windows 10 on 64bit Laptop, 12 MB RAM, 500GB SSD drive (C System and D Data Partition), External USB 750 GB HDD drive used for backups
  1. Ran Windows Defender Full Scan and Malwarebytes Threat Scan to ensure no malware exists on PC
  2. Ran CCleaner and System Mechanic to erase junk files, etc.
  3. Ran Windows Disk Cleanup and Cleanup System Files to erase unneeded files on C and D
  4. Ran a Full (not quick) Format on the External HDD drive (NTSF) to ensure clean drive. Then a Quick Format afterwards.
  5. Created a System Restore Point (both C and D drive protection turned on)
  6. Ran SFC /SCANNOW No integrity violations.
  7. Checked SERVICES. Volume Shadow Copy is set to Automatic and is Started. Windows Backup is set to Automatic and is started
  8. Ran DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH to ensure clean system. Successful Restore. No errors.
  9. Ran icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET just to be sure.
  10. Reran sfc /scannow just to be sure things were still looking good. YES!
  11. Ran chkdsk C: /R to ensure clean system drive. Fine.

THEN I TRIED TO RUN WINDOWS BACKUP .(the Windows 7 version in Control Panel). It ran for a long time and was listing the files being copied to the hdd backup. The backup drive was clearly having files written to it. But it did not complete successfully and I eventually got the messages:

“The last backup did not complete successfully.

Check your Backup. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect”

The backup drive now contains a folder BACKUP (only 62MB) in which there is a file esp.vhdx but when I select it I get: “Couldn’t Mount File. The disk image isn’t initialized, contains partitions that aren’t recognizeable”, and so on.

I am stymied!

Reaction score
Use the other application and see if you encounter the same issue.......
Control Panel > File History > bottom left, select System image backup > right side, click Set up backup...........
Will the backup process go and will it finish successfully ?

Reaction score
Windows 10 has its own recovery and backup in the "settings" app under the section named "Update & Security" and any backup up you do is now called "File History" . Even in the normal control panel you see the "File History"

Reaction score
http://triplescomputers.com/blog/casestudies/the-dangers-of-registry-cleaners/
For information only. I know you won't like this but it's based on my own experience. Of course what you do about it is your own choice.

I appreciate that but I have been a System Mechanic user for many years, without incident and feel it has kept my various PCs clean of much garbage. CCleaner I use sporadically if and when I am having problems. It has never failed me either and is a very commonly used product. I do not believe either of those apps has contributed to this problem.

Reaction score
Windows 10 has its own recovery and backup in the "settings" app under the section named "Update & Security" and any backup up you do is now called "File History" . Even in the normal control panel you see the "File History"

I originally tried the System Image backup option in File History. It would not complete succesfully either.

I have just resorted to using a command line approach. It creates a C drive backup and renames it. It does run without error but I do not know yet whether the image it creates will function properly if/when the time comes to restore the image. It used to work when the system was running 8.1.

wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:E: -allCritical -include:C: -quiet
: Sets the proper date and time stamp with 24Hr Time for log file naming
: convention
set /a h=%TIME:~0,2%
set m=%TIME:~3,2%
set t2=%h%.%m%
set dtStamp=%date%-%t2%
ECHO %dtStamp%
Rename E:\WindowsImageBackup\ASUSN56vj ASUSN56vj%dtStamp%

Reaction score
Upgraded from Win 8.1 PRO to Windows 10 on 64bit Laptop, 12 MB RAM, 500GB SSD drive (C System and D Data Partition), External USB 750 GB HDD drive used for backups
  1. Ran Windows Defender Full Scan and Malwarebytes Threat Scan to ensure no malware exists on PC
  2. Ran CCleaner and System Mechanic to erase junk files, etc.
  3. Ran Windows Disk Cleanup and Cleanup System Files to erase unneeded files on C and D
  4. Ran a Full (not quick) Format on the External HDD drive (NTSF) to ensure clean drive. Then a Quick Format afterwards.
  5. Created a System Restore Point (both C and D drive protection turned on)
  6. Ran SFC /SCANNOW No integrity violations.
  7. Checked SERVICES. Volume Shadow Copy is set to Automatic and is Started. Windows Backup is set to Automatic and is started
  8. Ran DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH to ensure clean system. Successful Restore. No errors.
  9. Ran icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET just to be sure.
  10. Reran sfc /scannow just to be sure things were still looking good. YES!
  11. Ran chkdsk C: /R to ensure clean system drive. Fine.

THEN I TRIED TO RUN WINDOWS BACKUP .(the Windows 7 version in Control Panel). It ran for a long time and was listing the files being copied to the hdd backup. The backup drive was clearly having files written to it. But it did not complete successfully and I eventually got the messages:

“The last backup did not complete successfully.

Check your Backup. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect”

The backup drive now contains a folder BACKUP (only 62MB) in which there is a file esp.vhdx but when I select it I get: “Couldn’t Mount File. The disk image isn’t initialized, contains partitions that aren’t recognizeable”, and so on.

I am stymied!

Same here. Upgraded from win 8.1 so the circumstances are the same as well. Could you sort it out since then?
Cheers

J

Reaction score
That was last August. I cannot now recall how I eventually overcame the problem. Sorry.

Ask a Question