SOLVED Cannot complete system image

Reaction score
When I try to run a system image it always results in this.
Red Backup Snip.PNG

If I go to services volume shadow copy and windows backup services are both set to automatic and running.
Anybody have any ideas?
Destination is external USB drive with 845GB free space. Backup settings are set to OS C and system image only files and libraries not included
Backup settings.PNGThere is some other file incluuded
Backup settings.PNG

Reaction score
Settings window.PNG

Say what? The selected backup location is my external USB drive which I have been using for system images forever. Image of EFI partition and WINRETOOLS was included.
Am I confusing system image and backup? I seem to remember constant nagging about setting up backup as a precursor to creating a system image.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I don't bother with File History Backup.

I just create a System Image, and currently have several on a second HDD drive.

The image you posted originally displayed System Image in the title bar so I was assuming that is what you are trying to resolve - hence that article link.

Have you actually gone through each item you have chosen to back up? The error code itself literally means what it says, that a File in a [location you chose to back up from] does not exist.

You may have renamed the file, deleted it, moved it, or stuck it in a custom created New Folder which is what that Article addresses in Scenario 1

When I do a System image I disable my security software too, as I don't want it randomly scanning files while they are being processed for the System image.

Reaction score
I dumped Windows image because of the hit & miss 'attitude' it had - it could work perfectly one day then the next backup it failed. I started using Macrium & had no problems with imaging.

Reaction score
Windows Back up & Restore works well with Windows 10.
JMc I'm confused In your OP you said create an image, then you refer to back up.
When creating a system image, click on "Create a System Image" the program will go to "Where do you want to save the backup"? and automatically start looking for a suitable drive, it should select the most recent drive you last used "On hard disk " jmccleary USB Drive (C:) Click on Next and check off (C:) (System)
Next: "Confirm your backup settings" It should say something like "jmccleary USB Drive (C:) and in the lower information box "The following drives will be backed up jmccleary USB Drive (C:) click on "Start Backup"

Reaction score
Here's the latest.
EFI System Parttition.PNG

Somewhere along the line I was advised to go to file recovery in control panel but there is only recovery and no option for system image in it.
Just guessing but the problem looks like something to do with the EFI partition.
Any ideas?
Just to be sure I deleted everything on the external drive and it is now recognized as 900gb free space.

Reaction score
Image Snip.PNG

All's well that ends well. All it took was a refurbished Dell E6420.
Now that I'm older and don't drive anymore laptops are cheaper than pickup trucks.

Ask a Question