Cannot configure COM Port

Reaction score
I am using a new W10 laptop, with newly-installed software for controlling a telescope. This requires a USB-Serial adapter, which I have used successfully with W7 on an earlier machine. Now I cannot configure the COM ports. I get the message "Device (or COM Port) does not exist". I have tried setting the COM port in Device Manager to all numbers from 1 to 15, but with the same results. All of the on-line "help" skates vaguely round this problem but does not offer a definitive fix. Please, Microsoft, give us a simple fix for this problem.

Reaction score
Have you checked with the manufacturer of the USB to serial device. I had one which I haven't used since W10 and IIRC it needed a driver with W7 and so probably needs a driver update for W10

Reaction score
I have checked and updated all of the drivers, including the one for the USB-Serial adapter. In Device Manager the adapter is shown as connected, but in "Properties", "Device Status" it says "This device cannot start (Code 10) A device which does not exist was specified"
Also shown is "Port_#0005. Hub_#0005", which may indicate that COM Port 5 is the default, however, that number when selected produces the same error messages.

Reaction score
If you would tell us exactly what the devices are we could do some research.

The USB to Serial devices, as you know, need a special driver. You set the ports in the Devices and if the baud rate is correct, it may work.

I am thinking there may be a difference in what type of device is needed for Windows 10 due to a Scanner I have, but I would need to confirm that.

Reaction score
If you would tell us exactly what the devices are we could do some research.

The USB to Serial devices, as you know, need a special driver. You set the ports in the Devices and if the baud rate is correct, it may work.

I am thinking there may be a difference in what type of device is needed for Windows 10 due to a Scanner I have, but I would need to confirm that.

In Device Manager the converter is described as "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COMx)" where x is the COM port selected. A search for updated drivers informs me that the latest driver is installed. The converter works perfectly with an old XP laptop running earlier versions of programmes requiring serial interfaces. The baud rate currently set is 9600.

Reaction score
In Device Manager the converter is described as "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COMx)" where x is the COM port selected. A search for updated drivers informs me that the latest driver is installed. The converter works perfectly with an old XP laptop running earlier versions of programmes requiring serial interfaces. The baud rate currently set is 9600.
Aha - I may have solved the problem, or at least explained it. According to the Prolific website older versions of the chipset (in the adapter) do not support Windows 10. As I have had the adapter from some 10 years it it almost certainly out-of-date. It looks as though a trip to the on-line store is required.

Reaction score
I have an Icom marine radio (I am certified for marine frequencies) and I'm trying to program 2M frequencies on the Land Mobile settings so I can talk on amateur radio and the marine band with the same radio when I'm on the water. That way I don't have to have two radios.

So I bought the software - CS-M88 - and I have the correct cable to connect the radio to the computer, which is OPC-966U.

Ever since I installed CS-M88 on my PC, I have gotten an error message from the program, which looks like this:

Cannot%20access%20COM4_zpsz3lnjhys.jpg

So it was a driver problem. So I downloaded the drivers needed, which gave me the COM & LPT which was missing in Device Manager. I guess MS didn't think to include that with Windows 10.

So because I downloaded the driver recommended here, Device Manager then looked like this:

COM%20ports_zpstez44282.jpg

This was a problem, since CS-M88 only has 4 COMs. One set of instructions said this would happen, because of PC devices being plugged in, and how a PC assigns addresses to devices. So I unplugged my Logitech camera. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. Device Manager now looks like this:

COM4%20image_zpsojg3udza.jpg

Great news, eh? Now I can use COM 4 in CS-M88!

Nope.

I still get this from Device Manager:

COM4%20cannot%20be%20started_zpsddf2luna.jpg

I keep getting closer to a connection. Having the COM driver was an important step, but still no connection. I have to figure out how to get this device started. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I don't know if this matters, but here is the COM port properties:

COM4%20settings_zpsdcucp0rp.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I normally go to the Devices and Printers section to set up Com ports. Make sure you are using the Admin version of properties to make those changes.

Once that is done, you need to set up correct info for your device.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
If I may interject... What about using PuTTY?

On the other hand, I have to ask, what cable do you have? is it a prolific chip? Did you buy this cable from some Chinese retailer or similar?
I have some bad experience with these and my 2 Way HAM Handhelds, it turns out in my case that the newer official drivers caused similar issue because it was a counterfeit chip the only way to get the device installed was by using some specific version of drivers somewhat older. Pain in the backside that was.

Edit I see post #5 its a prolific chip... awaiting reply. I think I have the drivers still somewhere.

Ask a Question