Cannot continue with the update

Reaction score
Every morning Automatic update tries to update my computer with the latest cumulative security package, but cannot finish. It gets to 59% and errors out, then it has to undo the changes it has made. What's worse is that when I open Edge I get a blue screen and it tells me I have a virus and that I need to call a toll free number. I fell for it once and instead of helping me fix the problem they tried to sell me a program call PC Repair. Now I have multiple problems, including the inability to go into Safe Mode or reboot into my Bios settings. I am trying to not reset my windows 10 because I would have to reload so many programs. Any ideas? I have a recovery disk, but cannot get into my bios to have it boot up on my BDRom drive.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Jim

Having read your opening statements it occurs to me you priority right now is to rid yourself of this alleged virus.

Do you have any anti virus software installed on your computer?

If not then it would be worthwhile to at least download Norton Power Eraser and run that. This is a free tool and will do a full rootkit scan and hopefully help you rid yourself of the virus issue. It also deals to scamware very well indeed. From you description I suspect that is what you have, but given its been an ongoing issue you may have other infections now too.

You can grab Norton Power Eraser here: https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx

The scan itself typically takes 2 - 5 minutes, but it could take a lot longer if you have significant infections.

So be prepared to wait. Also, read the instructions on that page and take a look at the tutorial on using this tool (also linked on that page I gave you).

Report back once you've taken active measures to clean your system of Virus, Malware, Scamware, etcetera. Then we can deal with the rest of your issues.

Regards,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
I will try the Power Eraser but I am running PC Matic and Windows Defender.

OK,

Just so you know. This is a one time use program. After downloading and running Norton Power Eraser, you can delete the download. Should you need to use it again you should always download the latest version from the website I gave you. Its not intended to be kept on PC and used over and over again.

PC Matic will work as an antivirus program, but its a fairly basic one. If you are wanting to use a free antivirus program you'd in my opinion be better off choosing something else:
  • AVG,
  • McAfee,
  • Avast,
  • Microsoft Security Essentials etcetera
  • All of which have a better reputation for security and are known to work fine with Windows 10

Reaction score
Try disabling, or uninstalling. Pc Matic and see if the updates work

Ask a Question