Cannot create new file folder

Reaction score
Button for new folder exists but does nothing. This is a new problem and system restore to oldest restore point did not help. Have run scf scan without errors. Have confirmed permission to modify parent file folder. I can rename existing folders. Have run Bitdefender & CCleaner registery cleaners.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How about the right click context menu option for New -> Folder??
I assume by "button for new folder" you mean the New folder icon on the file explorer ribbon?

Reaction score
How about the right click context menu option for New -> Folder??
I assume by "button for new folder" you mean the New folder icon on the file explorer ribbon?
I do mean the folder icon on the ribbon. Right click does not work either.
[

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is this a work computer or a domain joined computer where group policies may be impacting your ability to perform some tasks?
Have you installed any third party software such as Classic Shell or another of the multiple start menu overlays available on the web?

Reaction score
Is this a work computer or a domain joined computer where group policies may be impacting your ability to perform some tasks?
Have you installed any third party software such as Classic Shell or another of the multiple start menu overlays available on the web?
This is a home computer. I have not installed Classic Shell or something similar.

Reaction score
Somebody in another forum suggesting trying CTRL+Shift+N to see it that would create a new folder.

Reaction score
As has been mentioned the only things I could think of which might cause your situation would be a Registry change or something blocking the access to the command or resources. I suppose some type of corruption of a resource could also be involved, but I can only guess. It may be related to some app which isn't functioning correctly.

If you had run a Registry Cleaner, although not something that would normally happen, could have removed some setting.

If it were to be something in the Registry, I found the following key. Perhaps you could compart the attached to compare for what you show in that key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Windows.newfolder

NewFolder.JPG

RJS

Reaction score
As has been mentioned the only things I could think of which might cause your situation would be a Registry change or something blocking the access to the command or resources. I suppose some type of corruption of a resource could also be involved, but I can only guess. It may be related to some app which isn't functioning correctly.

If you had run a Registry Cleaner, although not something that would normally happen, could have removed some setting.

If it were to be something in the Registry, I found the following key. Perhaps you could compart the attached to compare for what you show in that key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Windows.newfolder

View attachment 2201

I've checked my registry and it matches this example exactly. The problem of not being able to create a new folder just occurred yesterday...no idea how or why. Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried booting into safe mode to see if the problem persists or not?
Maybe look into using something like http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
Use the "Options" menu to "Hide all Microsoft Extensions" and inspect what is left over and see if any look suspicious.
You can double click them to determine the "File Name" in the event that it is not obvious in the interface.
Perhaps something you recently installed?

Reaction score
could be you have a BAD install or update and not necessary will SFC /scannow fix.
you can try"
1. Insert the same media you installed with.
PS" windows 10 will upgrade it self...
Master Clean and Reset Cmds

all commands used from

logo + X ->command prompt as admin

type or copy ea line one at a time

---------------------------------------------------

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
or
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:K:\windows /LimitAccess
K:\windows is where you mounted your install media.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:D:\wim\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
D:\wim is where you place the install.wim from of you install media

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
sfc /scannow

wsreset.exe
dism /online /Cleanup-Image /analyzeComonentStore

dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

dism /online /Cleanup-Image /SPSuperseded
---------------------------------
doing this will allow most errors to be corrected

Reaction score
Button for new folder exists but does nothing. This is a new problem and system restore to oldest restore point did not help. Have run scf scan without errors. Have confirmed permission to modify parent file folder. I can rename existing folders. Have run Bitdefender & CCleaner registery cleaners.

Experiencing the identical problem. Also, if I open up a command prompt and use mkdir to create a new directory, the resulting folder always has a creation date of 1/1/2000 at 05:17

Not only can I not create a new folder, but I can't change the name of an existing file or folder either, without going through the command prompt and using MSDOS commands :(

Oh, and by the way, I'm a retired computer geek with a 35 year software career behind me, so please don't respond with canned answers and obvious solutions that of course I've already tried.

Reaction score
Since the behavior described is certainly not normal, I would look for something done to the install which may be causing it.

Possibly some type of permission situation or a corruption of the basic OS. If you have installed some third party software or run a registry cleaner you may have done something to disrupt that system.

The OP never provided any information about that install, so maybe you could supply yours.. Is it a Windows 7 upgrade or a later OS or clean?

Ask a Question