Cannot enter password

Reaction score
I recently updated my Asus lap-top to Windows 10. It worked fine for a while.

Today, when I tried to log-on, I was unable to enter my password.

I can move the cursor around the screen using either the in-built cursor finger-pad or a USB mouse, however I am unable to "click" on anything. Hence I cannot select while profile I want to log on with, which is not a problem, as the profile selected happens to be the one which I want. Crucially, I cannot "click on" the password dialogue box to clear/highlight it. Hence I cannot enter my password to log-on.

How can I obtain any access to my lap-top?

Reaction score
I had the same problem (Locked Screen) on a Dell laptop. Try hitting the Windows key + L, works for me. You may have to try Cntrl+Alt+Del?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
It worked fine for a while.
Wow.... wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard that recently.
Try a hard reset.
Remove the AC power, remove the battery, flip it over and press and hold the power on button and count to 30 (by ones please and no cheating).
Replace the battery, plug it back into the wall and start it up.

Reaction score
I found it difficult to access the battery.

HOWEVER "shift" + "pwr-dwn" seemed to cause the lap-top to totally pwer-down.
When it re-booted, the problem had gone away and I was able to log-on as normal.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot that, some newer laptops can be a real pain to get to the battery and are not as simple as just flipping it over and pushing a couple sliders anymore.
I've ran into a couple of these recently where the battery is no longer user serviceable and require some serious disassembly to get to them.
Anyway.......
Glad to hear that you managed to sort it out and that you're back up and running again.
Thanks very much for the follow-up report.

Ask a Question