SOLVED Cannot find USB 2TB Toshiba hard drive

Reaction score
I have plugged in my hard drive and it operates correctly, shows up in Disk Management, but when I right-click to assign a drive letter, the menu is greyed out except for "Delete Volume" or "Help". How can I access this drive and get my computer to "see" I?

Reaction score
Meanwhile, if you care to, install MiniTool Partition Wizard.
See if it can help you where the Windows own built-in cannot.

The link is for the free version. I use the same one myself. Many times after I deleted the Volume from a dual boot setup, I was unable to use the Extend option to put the space back to my main drive. It was greyed out. MiniTool had no trouble extending the volume back.

MiniTool Partition Wizard:
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Reaction score
Meanwhile, if you care to, install MiniTool Partition Wizard.
See if it can help you where the Windows own built-in cannot.

The link is for the free version. I use the same one myself. Many times after I deleted the Volume from a dual boot setup, I was unable to use the Extend option to put the space back to my main drive. It was greyed out. MiniTool had no trouble extending the volume back.

MiniTool Partition Wizard:
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
Thanks I will try this. In the meantime please see the screenshot. The menu has not shown up here, but is as described above. All items greyed out except for those listed.
upload_2015-9-25_15-3-23.png

Reaction score
Sorry.
I am not qualified to assist in disk partition issues.
Please wait for someone to come along.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Sorry.
I am not qualified to assist in disk partition issues.
Please wait for someone to come along.
Good luck.
Thanks David

I think this is less about partitioning than it is about windows recognising the drive, but I could be wrong.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The drive in question does not appear to reflect a proper recognizable format (NTFS, FAT, FAT32, ExFat, etc.).
Does the drive work when attached to another computer?
Has the drive ever been attached to an Apple Computer?
If so it may have adopted a format unique to a MAC (HFS+).
Perhaps using a Disk Utility such as davidhk129 has recommended might at least expose this and let you know if there is anything unique about it.

Reaction score
The drive in question does not appear to reflect a proper recognizable format (NTFS, FAT, FAT32, ExFat, etc.).
Does the drive work when attached to another computer?
Has the drive ever been attached to an Apple Computer?
If so it may have adopted a format unique to a MAC (HFS+).
Perhaps using a Disk Utility such as davidhk129 has recommended might at least expose this and let you know if there is anything unique about it.
Not any more. It did when I first bought it (Windows 7 and RT). Since upgraded to Win 10, but also is not seen on RT either. Tried it on XP machine and no luck. It has never been attached to a Mac. Have not yet tried the disk utility.

Will do that in the next day or so.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
YOu may want to consider swapping cables if it seems to be having trouble when attached to various computers.
If it is inside of an enclosure of some time it could be the electronics.
I'm not absolutely clear as to whether you are attaching this using some type of USB connection or if you are connecting it directly to a SATA port on your motherboard.

Reaction score
Thanks - It is USB 3 and I have tried it with two different cables - that both work with other drives

Ask a Question