Cannot get to any Google Web Page

Reaction score
Windows 10 Home Insider Preview
Version 1607
OS build 14986.1001

I cannot get to any web page that has anything to do with google either via Edge or Explorer. I went in to try and change my default browser, there is no Firefox or Chrome option.

I get: Hmm, we can't reach this page. Try this. etc. etc.

I have tried many other web pages and I have no issues, but anything google I have this issue. Please help. I would like to be able to do something as easy as check gmail on my PC. I tried to download chrome, but you guess it, even with a direct link, it says hmm, we cant reach this page.

Reaction score
So what happens if you use whatever search engine you have and search for Chrome? If that doesn't work you may have a DNS problem....somehow your machine or your router or your ISP has found itself with a bad DNS. Can you ping Gmail.com or Google.com?

Reaction score
Hey Tim, I can ping both in the cmd prompt but I cannot get to either via Explorer or Edge. I went an alternate route by putting Chrome on a memory stick and loading it onto the PC. Now I can get google.com through the chrome browser.

This is all for the my daughters laptop PC. After this experience I am not to sure I will be anxious to buy a new PC with Windows 10.

Reaction score
Set Chrome as the default browser using the settings in Chrome itself and I bet you'll be fine after tha,

Reaction score
Shouldn't this be in the insider section? Or am I more confused than ever!

Reaction score
It should be.

And why would one install Insider builds on ones daughter's laptop? There will new builds every week for 3 months...each one with its own set of new bugs. And if that laptop has a 3rd party Anti-virus there will be even more problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is the basic problem with the Microsoft "open to all" insider project. For the greater majority of "insiders", who do not have the deeper understanding and knowledge, I would say it is probably causing many problems and work for those who, at the end of the line, have to deal with them.
Problems, such as this one, as a poor example, should be going through the feedback. Unfortunately, that particular "end of the line", is a bit thin!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Shouldn't this be in the insider section? Or am I more confused than ever!
It should and I have moved it accordingly since 14986.1001 is the latest Insider Build.

Reaction score
That is the basic problem with the Microsoft "open to all" insider project. For the greater majority of "insiders", who do not have the deeper understanding and knowledge, I would say it is probably causing many problems and work for those who, at the end of the line, have to deal with them.
Problems, such as this one, as a poor example, should be going through the feedback. Unfortunately, that particular "end of the line", is a bit thin!!
So then you are saying that the OP is not tech savvy enough to be in the IP? Maybe they should give a test...It is my opinion that MS wants a cross section of every type of user and not just users with a Masters in Computer Science..:)

Reaction score
"So then you are saying that the OP is not tech savvy enough"
Who there!
You are misinterpreting my post.. I was merely exchanging a view with Tim, regarding the insider program.
I have no knowledge of the op. He could well be a highly trained technician.
The volume of complaints/feedback in the insider section, are overwhelming, and, in most cases, repetitious. I sincerely doubt that MS have the time or interest to sift through even a small portion of it.
"Maybe they should give a test"
An excellent suggestion, bu impractical. Maybe this from MS themselves, a long time ago, will better clarify what I intended:
"Microsoft originally launched the Windows Insider program for enterprise testers and the "technically able" to test out new developer features and to gather feedback to improve the features built into Windows 10"

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
"technically able"
LOL.... might that imply, that there are those who are "technically disabled"?
That, might explain why I have so much trouble figuring some of this crap out.

Reaction score
LOL.... might that imply, that there are those who are "technically disabled"?
That, might explain why I have so much trouble figuring some of this crap out.
I think the opposite would be technically unable.
It is a very common expression, and used extensively.
Anyway, I think this "crap" has gone on long enough in this section and is inappropriate.
I'm out.

Reaction score
"So then you are saying that the OP is not tech savvy enough"
Who there!
You are misinterpreting my post.. I was merely exchanging a view with Tim, regarding the insider program.
I have no knowledge of the op. He could well be a highly trained technician.
The volume of complaints/feedback in the insider section, are overwhelming, and, in most cases, repetitious. I sincerely doubt that MS have the time or interest to sift through even a small portion of it.
"Maybe they should give a test"
An excellent suggestion, bu impractical. Maybe this from MS themselves, a long time ago, will better clarify what I intended:
"Microsoft originally launched the Windows Insider program for enterprise testers and the "technically able" to test out new developer features and to gather feedback to improve the features built into Windows 10"

MS should have never combined the Insiders Hub with the rest of the users. The OP would be better posting his issue there. In most forums , one reply's to the OP. I have been in The Insider Program since the second build and I am by no means an enterprise. My thinking is that MS wants a cross section of all users to test Windows 10 maybe just to see if it is usable for the non geeks that walk among us. That being said I have once again dropped out of it and I went went to build 14393.576. I did this because I do not feel like testing till what now is going to be sometime in April for the next release. I still have an image of 14986 that I can go back to as I have done this in the past. @Trouble can verify this.

Reaction score
I am so fickle that after posting the above I went back to 14986. Despite it's problems, it is better than The AU.:)

Ask a Question