Cannot get Win 10 to install properly on new build

Reaction score
Win 10 installs and opens the first time. Once it gets reset (it automatically starts downloading updates and requires a reset), it boots back to a black screen where nothing happens. I tried repair, etc. from the Win10 installation DVD, but it gives me an error. I have deleted all content on the HD and done a clean install at least 10 times. I have tried DDU (driver display uninstaller), and that was able to boot once, but required another reboot, during which it said "Unable to install updates, removing updates" (windows updates, not DDU updates) or something like that. Then it booted to a black screen again.

This is a brand new build with SSD, HDD, ODD, and GTX 970. I have downloaded the latest 970 driver from Nvidia web site, tried installing from Nvidia CD, tried DDU then GEforce Experience, etc. All ultimately end in black screen on reboot.

I can boot into safe mode if I go into msconfig on first initial boot at the completion of installation. If I don't do safe mode, I get black screen on next normal mode reboot no matter what I do.

Please help!! I'm about ready to destroy this Win10 DVD!!! I'm starting to research Ubuntu to be done with Microsoft forever!

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
You say a new build. New Mobo, cpu,memory etc etc?

Do you have an old W7 install dvd? Or even W8. Doesn't matter if they are already in use on a machine 'cos you are not going to activate.
W7 would be ideal. Install that, it will do one zillion updates but it will undoubtedly find all the chipset drivers or ask you for themand stuff that will work. Once that is done then do the W10 by doing a setup from inside W7.

The Ubuntu thing...a install of Ubuntu would ensure that everything on the machine is working completely

Another thing... does the Mobo have video on board...perhaps Intel 4xxx or 5xxx if so, do the W10 install without the 970 installed and if it all works then install the 970 later. I am pretty sure that W10 does work properly with the Intel integrated graphics ( or this forum would have 10 billion posts)

I would try the last one first.

FWIW my main machine has SSD and Nvidia but only a humble 6xx

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
And double check with the motherboard manufacturer and make sure you have the latest BIOS and Chipset drivers installed as well as any firmware update that might be needed for the SSD.

Reaction score
And double check with the motherboard manufacturer and make sure you have the latest BIOS and Chipset drivers installed as well as any firmware update that might be needed for the SSD.
The last time I started with a new MOBO the initial OS load ( it would have been 7) insisted on me loading a CD with the chipset stuff and would not progress until that was done. That is why I suggested the possible install of an older Windows which I figured would get those drivers installed.

If this Mobo is a new 170 chipset board I wonder if W10 gets confused about something....but the OP says it does come up initially which makes it sound like something in one of the 12 ( at my count) updates to W10 since the August 29th edition.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can remember back, shortly after Service Pack 1 came out for Windows 7. It may have been the SP1 package or maybe a subsequent update that followed, a lot of people were experiencing BSODs and in many of those cases a BIOS update actually was the solution.
I always recommend arming yourself with the latest Chipset Driver for your motherboard because it's like the foundation to your house. Everything is built upon that and all the subsystems depend on that even if in many instances (jMicron, Renesas, AMD, nVidia, etc.,) may also require their own specific chipset drivers as well.

Reaction score
Update. Thanks for all the replies.

Build & BIOS were fine. Yes, new build as in every component.

Finally figured out there were two problems. One was with the 970 driver that Windows was automatically updating to, which was not the latest driver and caused problems.

The other issue was a display issue. Apparently WIndows was booting OK, but it was displaying off the screen on an auxiliary display rather than the primary monitor and showing a black screen on the primary monitor. I finally figured it out and changed the display settings (Windows key + P).

Most programs I've installed since have worked OK, but Avast antivirus causes the computer to give me errors during reboot, which forced me to do a system restore.

What antivirus program do you recommend for WIn10?

Reaction score
I also had issues with the Nvidia driver that Windows pushed, on my other PC.

Avast should work fine, but I stopped using it a while back (make sure you've turned off windows defender real-time protection). I wanted something a bit lighter. I use Bitdefender. The free version is a bit difficult to find on their site.

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Reaction score
Good that you got it working...I thought the 970 might have been part of the problem. Once you have managed to install a real Nvidia driver more uptodate that MS have then it will work and update from Nvidia forever I think

Ask a Question