Cannot install lexmark printer as default

Reaction score
i have an older lexmark monochrome laser printer. it was working fine until the most recent win 10 upgrade, now i can no longer install it as the default printer or print to it. I have removed the printer and reinstalled it. I have updated the drivers. I can see the printer in the devices list. I cannot set it as default printer. The manufacturer say it is compatible with win 10 but I cannot print to it. I would like to be able to use it as my default printer and only go to my injet when I need color copies.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Without knowing anything about how your printers are connected to your computer, it's very difficult to suggest a possible solution.
Are they both USB Printers?
If so check the port that the printer is using, if it is set to USB002 then switch it to USB001 or vice versa if the other printer is also USB it may be using one or the other.

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick reply, they are USB but i don,t have a clue as to what USB001 or 002 might be.
I thought I had downloaded the latest driver from lexmark but when I highlight the icon in the devices list it says driver unavailable. Win update was no help.

Ask a Question