SOLVED Cannot move files in Windows 10

Reaction score
Any attempt to drag-drop, move to, or copy files to backup disk results in greyed-out destination disk and "Not Responding" message. Have tried all troubleshooters to no avail. Please help. Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
results in greyed-out destination disk and "Not Responding" message
What or where exactly is your "destination disk"? Is it another partition on your system disk, is it another physical internal hard drive in your computer, is it an external drive, if so how is it attached (USB, Network, eSATA, etc.)
Are there files on it?]
Can you access those files, as in open them?
How is the drive formatted?
Has the drive ever been used in or attached to a MAC or Linux system?

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me. Destination Disk can be either DVD or Flash Drive, -- both are external and USB. There are files on both and both are a accessible;. formatted for data. Never used with MAC or Linux.

Had no problem moving files to or from prior to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 Home Version.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The DVD might be a bit of a problem, I'm not sure that you can impact the Security Discripter GUID / ACL of the files written there so copying to or moving from may be an issue.
The USB thumb drive or disk should be a simple matter of Taking Ownership of the Containers / Sub-Folders and Files and then if needed granting your user account explicit full control of the same within the container properties, under the Security Tab, simply by adding your name and the appropriate rights to the files.
You can use this utility http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/ to simplify the take ownership process by adding it to the right click menu.
When you manage to get the USB squared away, then try the same process on the DVD, if it's re-writeable then I would assume you can do the same, although I can't say that I've ever tried, I don't think the default format for a data disk even supports NTFS security, so maybe simply taking ownership might do it.

Keep in mind that you need to have permissions on both ends of the process, source and destination.

Reaction score
Whisperer: Taking ownership was the perfect solution! Worked like a charm for DVD but not for the flash drive--it's a write-protected SanDisk. No editing or copying, or moving of files and no apparent solution to that outside of returning the drive for a replacement. My mistake, but fortunately the backup for each of those irretrievable files is on DVD.

Thanks so much.

Ask a Question