Cannot Rename a Mapped Network Drive

Reaction score
Just did a clean install of Win10 and everything went fine, except for one issue. I mapped my network (home) drive and it mapped as it should. However, I inadvertently renamed the drive (by a right-click) and cannot rename it back to the original name. I have disconnected the drive and remapped it, but it still comes up with the other name. I have right-clicked and tried the rename function, but it does not change. How can I rename this drive back to the original name?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I mapped my network (home) drive and it mapped as it should
Not sure what a "network (home) drive is.
How is the drive connected to the computer? IS it a local drive that you have mapped for some reason?
Typically, one maps a network share (folder) as a drive and the name of the drive depends on the actual name of the share at the time of the mapping and will include the share name as well as the UNC path of the shared folder.
I know that some people, for some reason map local drives and or folders as network locations, although I've never understood the need for doing so.
It always seemed to me, that it would be easier to simply place a shortcut to the location where ever you wanted it and name that shortcut, whatever you wanted the name to be.

Ask a Question