SOLVED Cannot set ANY browser as default browser

Reaction score
I've been using Win 0 for a while and I came in this evening and started Chrome and got a message saking if I wanted to set Chrome as my default browser. That was unusual since Chrome has been my default browser since I installed Win10. When I went to the Apps setting page I seltect the Default browser box and the options were displayed including Chrome. BUT, when I selected the Chrome box the browsers box disappears en nothing was selected. Tried agaon, same result. Tried Internet Explorer, same thing. I can't figure out what's happening.

The only thing that was different was that when I turned on my monitor this evening the login screen was displayed and I had not logged off last night..

Any ideas of what happened and how to fix it?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.

For the browser.

Open the control panel (Right click the start and select). Open Default programs and set your default program

Scroll down and select Chrome as the default. I have no idea, though, why the selection boxes are disappearing, on selection.

For you last comment. Have a look in you power settings. I would suggest you are going into hibernation (or did you just forget to log off!!)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I came in this evening
The only thing that was different was that when I turned on my monitor this evening the login screen was displayed and I had not logged off last night..
It's quite possible that at some point during the time interval you've mentioned that your Windows 10 installation acquired an update.
There was a pretty large one pending Tuesday, which may have left a reboot also pending.
Maybe restart the computer, manually check Windows Updates, even double check your update history and see if that might have been the issue.

Reaction score
Trouble I think you hit the nail on the head. I was cleaning the kids PC late yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon.
During the cleaning process a message popped up that said, the PC is shutting down save any programs and exit.
It shut down/restarted and downloaded Tuesday's updates automatically. It was a pretty large update too.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.

For the browser.

Open the control panel (Right click the start and select). Open Default programs and set your default program

Scroll down and select Chrome as the default. I have no idea, though, why the selection boxes are disappearing, on selection.

For you last comment. Have a look in you power settings. I would suggest you are going into hibernation (or did you just forget to log off!!)

THANKS for your post. Your instructions worked the first time. It was a strange set of circumstances. I generally do not log off overnight as I have several processes that continue overnight and I have turned hibernation off. How it occurred I don't know but thanks for the fix.

Reaction score
I see it as a bug, which I have logged in feedback several times, bot apparently no action is being taken. Glad it worked for you. Enjoy Windows 10.

Ask a Question