SOLVED Cannot set up another user

Reaction score
I have one user account with Administrator rights, but Windows 10 refuses to set up another. When I click "Add another person" in the UAC settings dialog, a grey field flashes for a tenth of a second and closes again, and there is no additional user. When I manually start the UAC via the command line, I am told that there are two accounts, Administrator and Guest, but ALL buttons are grey and I cannot add another user, either. There is no entry in the Event Manager.

Must have been some "improving" update by MS wreaking havoc again, because the current user is just a few weeks old.

Reaction score
General Domel
I just checked my user Accounts "Add a new user account" after reading your post. And Yes! MS have made some (don't know when) big changes. To create a new user account, I see you have to provide a valid email address now. It appears to me that MS want all new user accounts linked to a MS account: you don't have an option as you can't skip by hitting "Next". Another MS dirty deed, users are losing more and more control. Windows 10 users are becoming MS Droids with every update.

Have you attempted to use the elevated Command Prompt to add a new user account whilst you can.
Open the elevated CP and type net user username password /add
Example: net user sargeant domel Abc123 /add

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try this:

open "settings"
click on "Accounts"
click on "Family and other people"
click on "Add someone else to this PC"
click on "I don't have this person's sign-in information"
click on "add a user without a Microsoft account"
give it a name and password, don't forget the hint

thats how it worked on mine...

Reaction score
Yeah, it was at the item "Add someone else to this PC" that a blank gray screen flashed for a moment and vanished again, and nothing happened ...

Today it worked. Well, I ran a DISM repair yesterday and rebooted this morning, maybe it was that. Anyway, I got my other user now. Thanks for the help!

Ask a Question