SOLVED Cannot sign in to microsoft account in Windows 10

Reaction score
I have been searching other forums and I see others who have mentioned this same problem, but I still cannot find a fix. I have not found any solutions that work so far.

The situation is that I upgraded from win7 to 10 and I have a basic "local administrator account". When I go to my account settings and try to click on "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead", nothing happens (there is a brief background window that flashes and then nothing happens).

Similarly, if I try to login to the xbox one app, it also says that it could not sign me in. If I click on the "sign in with a different Microsoft account", it presents me with the option to "choose an account: Microsoft account". When I click on that, again nothing happens at all.

I get the same results if I try to turn on Cortana-- when she eventually asks to connect to a Microsoft account, I click "sign in" and again nothing happens (here again I sometimes see a brief window flash in the background but I never get a login screen.

Last but not least, I get this same result if I try to add a Microsoft account to the Mail App in Win10. As soon as I try to click to add an Outlook/Hotmail account, it flashes and nothing happens. I am able to add other types of accounts to Mail (google, etc). (Oh, and if I try to login to the Microsoft Store I also get the same login problem as described).

I'm really bummed b/c I cannot use a lot of features in Windows 10 and I have no idea how to hook into a Microsoft account.

Things I have tried: I run windows updates constantly just to be sure, I have rest my "clock" and time settings repeatedly, I have made sure my location settings are turned 'on'. I have tried turning all of these things off and then on, then rebooting and checking for updates...still no way to login to Microsoft account :/

any ideas? thanks in advance!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have the option or have you tried to simply "Add a Microsoft account"
The option is in Settings -> Accounts ->
at the bottom where it says
"Other accounts you use"
link = "Add a Microsoft account"

Reaction score
Do you have the option or have you tried to simply "Add a Microsoft account"
The option is in Settings -> Accounts ->
at the bottom where it says
"Other accounts you use"
link = "Add a Microsoft account"

Unfortunately I do not have that option in my Account page. When I go to my Accounts page, under "Other accounts you use" it only says "Add a work or school account". If I click that and attempt to enter my Microsoft account, it says that "This doesn't look like a work or school email address." :/

And, as I mentioned before, when I just click on the "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" that shows up under my user account name, it doesn't work (nothing happens).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like there may be an issue with your existing profile.
Have you considered adding a new user
Windows logo key + r
type
lusrmgr.msc
hit enter
open users
right click a blank area and select new user
Give it a name Tom Dick or Harry .... whatever
Give it a password password or (e-mail address removed) ......whatever
uncheck must change password
check password never expires.
When you're done
Double click the account and use the member of tab to make him a member of the local admins group.
Log on with the new account and see if you have any better luck.

EDIT: Also double check here and confirm that your MS account is healthy and well
https://login.live.com

Reaction score
Ahhh-- bingo! Thank you so very much, Trouble. I had tried every other way of trying to add an account to no avail. But, your solution allowed me to make a new admin account that indeed allows me to properly link to my Microsoft account. Really, huge thanks man-- this has been driving me crazy!

at this point I am just rebuilding my desktop around this new account, b/c it seems like it just isn't worth it to try and debug why my original account cannot use Microsoft accounts.

Again, huge thanks and I will mark this as resolved-- I hope others who have had this problem see your solution!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Excellent. Glad you hear that you were able to resolve it. Often times I never hear back when something works, just when it doesn't.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Regards
Randy

Reaction score
I tried running lusrmgr.msc and it says "This snapic may not be used with this edition of Windows 10. To manage user accounts for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel." When I go to the control panel there doesn't seem to be anything of use. What else could be the issue?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
lusrmgr.msc is not available in Windows 10 home / basic version Pro and above only.
Did you attempt to use the Users Accounts applet in the Control, manage another account, add account
Add a new user, give him a name, give him a password, make him an administrator.
Log off and log on as that user and see what happens.

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. When I go into "Add a new user in PC settings" I just get that blip of a screen pop up and disappears and then nothing.

Reaction score
Windows logo key + r
type
lusrmgr.msc
hit enter
open users
When you're done
Double click the account and use the member of tab to make him a member of the local admins group.

EDIT: Also double check here and confirm that your MS account is healthy and well

thanks so much that error had me scratching my head for a good few hours

Reaction score
I am having the same issue re switching from local account to microsoft account. When i try to create a new user I get access denied. I have tried rolling back to earlier version of windows, same message access denied. Help.
Ron B

Reaction score
Windows logo key + r
type
lusrmgr.msc
hit enter
open users
When you're done

Thank you very much. This problem has been solved.
But I have another problem. I have too much user data, profile, config in old account.
Can you show me how to transfer data to new account ?

Reaction score
I tried running lusrmgr.msc and it says "This snapic may not be used with this edition of Windows 10. To manage user accounts for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel." When I go to the control panel there doesn't seem to be anything of use.When I go into "Add a new user in PC settings" nothing happens.
when i open store and click on sign in, store exits itself

Reaction score
I just got back on Windows 10. account.live.com/resetpassword. aspx is working right now.

Reaction score
lusrmgr.msc is not available in Windows 10 home / basic version Pro and above only.
Did you attempt to use the Users Accounts applet in the Control, manage another account, add account
Add a new user, give him a name, give him a password, make him an administrator.
Log off and log on as that user and see what happens.
I cant add a new User do you know any other ways to be able to log in? Ive also tried the one where you do something with your internet but its not working as well. Every time this pops out

Attachments

• Screenshot_112.png
    Screenshot_112.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 2,774

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

Reaction score
It just added a new user. And when i tried to log in using my Microsoft account it still didnt work. It still said "Something went wrong"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't understand.
I thought the idea of creating a new user account was to get you back to a working operating system from which you could reset your Microsoft account's password or at least log on to Hotmail.com or outlook.com and see if your user name and password were actually correct.
I think too many people have joined this thread and now I'm having a hard time tracking goals.

Reaction score
I have been searching other forums and I see others who have mentioned this same problem, but I still cannot find a fix. I have not found any solutions that work so far.

The situation is that I upgraded from win7 to 10 and I have a basic "local administrator account". When I go to my account settings and try to click on "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead", nothing happens (there is a brief background window that flashes and then nothing happens).

Similarly, if I try to login to the xbox one app, it also says that it could not sign me in. If I click on the "sign in with a different Microsoft account", it presents me with the option to "choose an account: Microsoft account". When I click on that, again nothing happens at all.

I get the same results if I try to turn on Cortana-- when she eventually asks to connect to a Microsoft account, I click "sign in" and again nothing happens (here again I sometimes see a brief window flash in the background but I never get a login screen.

Last but not least, I get this same result if I try to add a Microsoft account to the Mail App in Win10. As soon as I try to click to add an Outlook/Hotmail account, it flashes and nothing happens. I am able to add other types of accounts to Mail (google, etc). (Oh, and if I try to login to the Microsoft Store I also get the same login problem as described).

I'm really bummed b/c I cannot use a lot of features in Windows 10 and I have no idea how to hook into a Microsoft account.

Things I have tried: I run windows updates constantly just to be sure, I have rest my "clock" and time settings repeatedly, I have made sure my location settings are turned 'on'. I have tried turning all of these things off and then on, then rebooting and checking for updates...still no way to login to Microsoft account :/

any ideas? thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I have just uploaded the windows 10 update now it will not let me use my password, found that the new update will not let you use the %$(*& Keys but it will let you use the sdfgSDFG1457 keys , my password containes the first set of keys and will not let me in !

Ask a Question