Cannot sign in with a Microsoft account instead

Reaction score
So I don't know if this has been posted anywhere before, but whenever I go to do the "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" option on my Windows 10 pc, I go through the page asking to sign in using an email and a password, then it asks me to enter my old Windows password, and I enter that. Then it instantly moves on to a page saying "Oops something went wrong. Whatever happened, it was probably our fault. Please try again."

No matter how many times I go through this process, it always does the same things, if I click try again or start again. I upgraded to Windows Ten some time in January, and it still isn't working.

Sorry if this is a really stupid question or has a really simple answer, I just can't find an answer anywhere. Thanks for helping.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The only time I've ever experienced this particular problem that was persistent and never went away, was self inflicted when I, in a hurry, associated a local user account (which I didn't notice, I had typo'd the spelling) with a Microsoft Account.
Afterwards, I noticed the spelling problem and created a new admin user (correctly spelled this time) and attempted to associate the new user with the same Microsoft Account.
I kept getting the "Oops" error.

I had to go to the typo'd user account and change that "Sign in with a local account instead" and rebooted and logged in with the corrected account with no typo and was then able to associate that account with the Microsoft Account.
I don't know if that fix was a fluke and unique to my situation or if it might be something that exists on your computer.
Just thought I would pass it along in the event that it might help.

Reaction score
When clicking the "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" link, make sure your PC is connected to the Internet. Another way is create a new local account, log in and click the same link to check if the problem still exists.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Neither of the solutions you gave were working, but it seems that the reason it wasn't working was because I am part of a family thing with Windows, so I just need to remove myself off of that, do the sign in with mail instead thing, then re-add myself. I found this on another forum on here, https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/doesnt-work-sign-in-with-microsoft-account-instead.6726/
It is the bottom comment, made by Steve J-Jan 7th 2016.
Thanks again, all.

Ask a Question