SOLVED Cannot write to Documents folder after upgrade from Windows 7 to 10

Reaction score
My standard Documents located in C:\users\...\documents is no longer a writable folder following upgrade to Windows 10. Affects Visual Studio, Outlook and some other software. eg for Visual Studio 2013: CurrentSettings.vssettings cannot be written. I own the folder of course and attempts to remove the "Read Only" flag appear to work and then immediately fail when I attempt a write operation to a file in one of the folders. I am administrator but this doesn't help. Also logged on as a local user instead of Windows Live account, but same results. Suggestions?

Reaction score
I have found the following article helpful. It has possibly resolved my problem but will check out a few more file activity options before saying it has completely resolved it. Its a rather long and convoluted, but steps are clear enough. See what others think...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/f73bc4d3-fdad-4d73-acb6-e525804e73df?page=2 this is an answer from
Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP] who replied on August 9th 2015

Reaction score
I have found the following article helpful. It has possibly resolved my problem but will check out a few more file activity options before saying it has completely resolved it. Its a rather long and convoluted, but steps are clear enough. See what others think...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/f73bc4d3-fdad-4d73-acb6-e525804e73df?page=2 this is an answer from
Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP] who replied on August 9th 2015

This article solved my problem. Note that the procedure fixes the Read Only for the Documents Folder(s) but needs to be repeated if you are having problems writing to the Pictures Folder. Simply replace "Documents" with "Pictures". This also resolved a problem that prevent my printer/scanner from saving to folders within the "Pictures" folder. Hope this helps?

Reaction score
Still have the same problem, so it didn't fix it for me

I get a number of errors as in the attached image... and cannot save to pictures folder for example

Attachments

• problems applying fix.PNG
    problems applying fix.PNG
    6.9 KB · Views: 873
Reaction score
Still have the same problem, so it didn't fix it for me

I get a number of errors as in the attached image... and cannot save to pictures folder for example

Sorry to hear that it didn't resolve the problem. I have not had problems since applying the recipe to my documents and pictures folders.

Reaction score
Try:

1. A restore. This can sometimes work. or,
2. Unzip the attached and run it. You will then have a right click option on the "Documents" to "Take ownership" folder

3. Disable OneDrive. This is not so straightforward. Onedrive is built in and you need to follow this method (courtesy of MS TechNet) :

Disable OneDrive Everywhere in Windows and Apps Completely

1. Press Win + R keyboard accelerator to open Run dialog box.
  2. Type GPedit.msc and hit Enter or OK to open Local Group Policy Editor.
  3. Navigate to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> OneDrive.
  4. In the right pane, double click on policy named Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage.
  5. Select the Enabled radio button.
Remember these steps, as , if you wish, when and if your problem is resolved, you may want to reverse the procedure.

P.S. I see the post has been marked "Solved" whilst I was posting.

Attachments

• Take Own.zip
    744 bytes · Views: 450

Ask a Question