SOLVED Can't access tablet mode

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Charlie, welcome to the forums. Which device are you using Windows 10 on - is it a tablet or a 2-in-1 laptop? If you've got a make/model, that would help.

If you go to Start > Settings (cog icon) > System > Tablet Mode, can you please check the settings. It may be that "use desktop mode" has been selected - you can change this to automatic or tablet mode from here.

Reaction score
Hi Charlie, welcome to the forums. Which device are you using Windows 10 on - is it a tablet or a 2-in-1 laptop? If you've got a make/model, that would help.

If you go to Start > Settings (cog icon) > System > Tablet Mode, can you please check the settings. It may be that "use desktop mode" has been selected - you can change this to automatic or tablet mode from here.

I am using a desktop. I checked this and "desktop" is selected. Everything worked fine until the latest update. Thanks for your assist

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have a touch-screen monitor for the desktop? Also, do you normally enable tablet mode via the action centre button?:

Untitled-1.jpg

It is disabled on my PC as I have multiple monitors, so it appears greyed out. Is this the same problem you have? If you chance the sign-in settings from the previous post from "desktop" to "Use the appropriate mode for my hardware", does it allow you to then select tablet mode?

Reaction score
No, I do not have a touch screen and yes I access tablet mode from the action center. When I try to access the action center, it appears briefly then disappears. I tried changing to "use appropriate mode" no help. Is there any way I can back out the win10 upgrade. It worked fine before the latest update. Also same thing happens when I try to select the "Power options button"

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure why it would be disabled, but it may be that they have prevented people without touch-screen devices from using it. If you have any external displays, then it will be disabled.

If you're happy to edit the registry, you can force enable it (to be active all the time) at the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell

Create a TabletMode REG_DWORD (if it doesn't exist already) and give it a data value of "1" ("0" is off)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
but it may be that they have prevented people without touch-screen devices from using it

I've just booted up a VM to test this on a single monitor device, and can confirm that Tablet mode works ok - so that rules out MS changing things intentionally.

Do you do display mirroring or have anything else connected that may be detected as a display device? Also, which graphics card do you have - as this may help me investigate.

Ask a Question