can't burn a cd......

Reaction score
no matter which software i use (i've tried 4 different programs now), they eject the disc, and prompt that the burn was successful.....

pop cd back in, and it always shows up as a blank disc.

before i panic and assume my CD/DVD drive is bad...... ideas?

p.s. it's reading manufactured audio CDs fine.

Reaction score
What speed are you usually burning and what?? DVD's I burn always at 4x Speed otherwise I get coasters, CD's usually at a very low speed - I am not in a hurry. Which programs have you used??

Do you use an external writer or an internal?? what brand??

Reaction score
Try uninstalling the CD/DVD drive in device manager and reboot your PC. It will recognize the drive and re-install. Worked for me when mine was acting up.

Reaction score
What speed are you usually burning and what?? DVD's I burn always at 4x Speed otherwise I get coasters, CD's usually at a very low speed - I am not in a hurry. Which programs have you used??

Do you use an external writer or an internal?? what brand??

device manager says "DVD A DU8A5SH"

whatever the default speed WMP is set at.

Reaction score
Well, Liteon are usually very good optical drives, at least I had never a problem with them. You might want to set the burning speed to a much lower one. By default programs are set to burn at maximum speeds (in this case 24x CD, 8x DVD). I usually burn a CD at max. 8x and a DVD no higher than 4x, So far never a coaster from the moment I figured that out....
It takes a little longer to burn but the results are worth it. Do you verify after burning??

Reaction score
Well, Liteon are usually very good optical drives, at least I had never a problem with them. You might want to set the burning speed to a much lower one. By default programs are set to burn at maximum speeds (in this case 24x CD, 8x DVD). I usually burn a CD at max. 8x and a DVD no higher than 4x, So far never a coaster from the moment I figured that out....
It takes a little longer to burn but the results are worth it. Do you verify after burning??

ok. turned down the burn settings in WMP from fastest to medium.
still no love.
getting the "burner is busy..." error, which got me thinking........
one time i tried using Explorer to burn the CD unsuccessfully.
i've since turned auto-play off..... but what if that job is cached somewhere?
how do i clear that event?

Ask a Question