Can't connect to wifi with new laptop and windows 10. Please help!

Reaction score
Hi,

Brought a new Dell laptop and came with windows 10 and i can't get it to connect to wifi. It worked perfectly at my mums, but at home it says wifi password incorrect when its not. I have updated drivers, disabled and enabled the wireless adapter. In command prompt i type ipconfig/renew it says no operation can be performed. Please help!

Reaction score
I tried forgetting the network and also adding the wifi network manually and either get password is incorrect which it isn't as my phone and other devices connect.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you are using WPA2 can you go on your router and experiment changing it from TKIP to AES or AES to TKIP or TKIP + AES

Reaction score
Make sure the IPv4 and IPv6 protocols are enabled:
Go to Network and Sharing Centre→ Change Adapter Settings

Select Properties for the Wifi Adapter (right-click your connection), make sure the IPv4 and IPv6 protocols are selected

Reaction score
The suggestions given so far, all turn towards problems with your hardware/software configuration.
Reading your first post, it seems that you are able to access the WiFi, but your password is not accepted. Is that correct?

Reaction score
It finds the wifi network but just won't connect to it, and have tried every combination of settings and solutions from this forum and others. The password is correct as my phone and all other computers in the house connect and have setup manually with password showing. It just flashes connecting and then errors. I go to my mums house and will connect to wifi and works no problem and both are cable Internet with the same router.

Reaction score
Not really the answer to my question.

Your first post:
"but at home it says wifi password incorrect when its not."

You answer to my post:
"it finds the wifi network but just won't connect to it,"

Ignoring the first entry, Are you using a third party Firewall?

Reaction score
Using est nod anti virus and malware bytes and have disabled both and also windows firewall but still the same. Just flashes connecting. It says the password is incorrect but i know it's not.

Reaction score
Hi Win 10mn. I also have this EXACT same problem. PART 1... back in August the public school I work for issued us brand new Lenovo laptops using Windows10. I received it and tried it out and it connected to the schools network with no problems. Then I took it home and ... it saw my home wifi connection but would not connect, telling me my password was incorrect (but it was correct). All other devices in the house connect to my router without problem. I then used my phone as a hotspot and ... the laptop connected. Tried my home wifi connection again but same error = incorrect access key. I asked my school tech person and they told me to change my router's security to "mixed wpa/wpa2" and create a new access key. I did that and it worked! For one day. The next day, when I tried to connect ... first it would give me the message "checking network" , then the router would reset and drop all existing connections (which upset the wife who was watching netflix). This continues to happen over and over again. I called my internet service provider and after 4 hours and many various attempts they determined that it was not an issue with the router, it was an issue with the device, which to this day connects anywhere i go without problem, except my home

PART 2. Last week for christmas my mom gave me a brand new, in the box, DELL laptop with windows 10. And it also, has the EXACT same issue. It will connect to Wifi everywhere except my house. Again I called my internet provider and again spent 4 hours on the phone and still came away with the same result. They gave me a Microsoft support number. Today I called the number. The microsoft support person told me on the phone, that they are aware of an issue with windows10 connecting to private networks, but, in order to help me I had to buy the 1-year support package at the price of $199.50 !!!! Unbelievable. I am a teacher and can not afford any such charges. So ... Im hoping someone will read our stories and come to the rescue! How do we fix this Windows10 connection issue!?!?1

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What I would try first is a step by step determination of sampling encryption levels by.....
Start by changing the router to no security / open just as a temporary test to see if your laptop will connect reliably without any encryption.
You can then try graduating up through WEP, WPA, WPA2 in the end you will likely find that WPA2 will need some attention and you should try sampling WPA2 between AES and TKIP changing from one to the other or if the router supports it TKIP + AES might help.

Ask a Question