SOLVED Can't disable Lock Screen after Anniversary update.

Reaction score
I think the title says it all.

I have tried the widely given advice about adding a new key to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows but that doesn''t work.

Does anyone know something which will?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Syncopator,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you are referring to the lockscreen you see on Startup, which you have to click to get to logon page, then unless you own Windows 10 Enterprise or Education versions you can no longer disable this screen.

If you are meaning the Lock Screen you see when logged on and pressing Windows key + L or you system sleeps etcetera, then the simplest way to disable that is to:
  • Open you File Explorer
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\SystemApps
  • Rename the Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy folder to !Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy

Note: If you have Windows 10 Professional, then adding Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy as a path to the Additional Rules of Software Restriction Policies via your built in Local Security Policy application secpol.msc

This will disable Lock Screen during boot time, but it still will not disable the Lock Screen just before logon page.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you Regedit32. Yes, it's the screen before the sign-in one, and the system is the Home version.
Is there, I wonder, a way to change the picture?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Syncopator,

You can change the picture for the lock screen you see at Startup.
  • Left-click on Start
  • Left-click on the Settings cog
  • Left-click on Personalization
  • On left pane select Lock screen
  • Now on right pane click the drop arrow in the box which is beneath Background and select Picture

Now you will be able to select an image or browse to select something else

Ask a Question