Can't figure out how to get on-board cam to work in FB

Reaction score
When trying to launch Facebook Live Video I get the error message, "Unable to find camera". I have checked both Chrome browser security settings as well as FB security settings and they are both set to allow microphone and camera. I've also done the same from Device Center. The on-board cam works fine in the Windows Camera app as well as with Skype. All camera apps are closed beforehand. I can launch FB Live Video from my Macbook so I know it's not a FB account related issue.

Windows 10 is up to date as well as Chrome and I've updated my drivers from Lenovo (after the issue appeared). It worked once before so I can only surmise that some Windows or other update killed it but who knows?

My Lenovo Yoga 920 is only a few months old, fwiw.

Reaction score
My choice of a diagnostic would be to try FaceBook with either IE11 or Edge [but I don't use Edge much] as an incompatibility can exist between Windows, Chrome and FaceBook. Sometimes working with native programs of Windows can help. Also a different browser such as Firefox, Pale Moon, SeaMonkey, Vivaldi, Waterfox, etc., could be tried.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply Bighorn! I tried both Firefox and IE but FB throws up a message each time saying to use the latest version of Chrome. I'll give edge a try as well as changing my default browser from Chrome to IE or Firefox.

Reaction score
Hi deckm00,

have you checked in Settings > Privacy > Camera???. :):):)

upload_2018-12-24_7-35-26.png

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. My camera no longer works (on this computer running Windows 10).

After a bit of testing and checking, I have learned that my camera is not compatible to Windows 10 even though it is a Windows camcorder.

Reaction score
I guess one could disable onboard/built-in camera then get a USB model to replace it, maybe a BIOS setting to keep Windows from picking it up. The microphone should still work but maybe an add-in camera will also have a mic?

Reaction score
My camera privacy settings were good to go with allow apps to access camera, camera = On, Facebook=On. Same thing for microphone. As I said it works for Skype so why not FB? I'm not buying an external camera if I can help it because I shouldn't have to. Besides, it worked once before and we didn't change anything so why not now?

Reaction score
Holy A-Hah! moment Batman! I just figured out that if I use the Facebook App vs. from Chrome that it works. You just launch the app, begin to compose a posting like you normally would, click on Add to your Post and then Live Video, then click on the Camera icon on the right hand side and wait for Live video to begin. While I get a great deal of satisfaction from doing it myself why can't they just include this little nugget of information in their help menus?

Reaction score
Holy A-Hah! moment Batman! I just figured out that if I use the Facebook App vs. from Chrome that it works. You just launch the app, begin to compose a posting like you normally would, click on Add to your Post and then Live Video, then click on the Camera icon on the right hand side and wait for Live video to begin. While I get a great deal of satisfaction from doing it myself why can't they just include this little nugget of information in their help menus?
False alarm. The FB app doesn't reach as many people as the FB web site does so we need it to work from the web site. I even uninstalled the app but it didn't help.

Ask a Question