Can't Get Past Log In and No Internet Connection

Reaction score
Several weeks ago, Microsoft messaged that I needed to verify my identity upon logging in. I tried the password that I remembered but that did not work so I went for the password reset. The machine took some time, so i set it aside. When i returned, the log in screen did not acknowledge my input. I then went to another machine after conferring with a Microsoft tech help. I was able to reset my password for live.com and access my account on an alternate machine. This worked on a second machine also. ( both machines had been brought up to Win 10 from Win 7.)
I now have two machines, both HP Pavilions 15. One that I managed to confuse somehow as described above. Upon start up, the log in does not acknowledge the new password. Of the three icons ( lower right on initial screen) the internet connection icon shows a Globe with a small circle with a bar through it. Meaning no internet connection, even if I connect via cable to to the modem.

Is there any way around this? Can I just buy another hard drive and start over.

My brother had a similar problem and was tinkering with the Bios login and changed the bios password and doesn't know it now....he brought his over to me yesterday and this was a new one on me. ( He liked mine so of course, he had to have one like mine. So now I have two rather nice machines, neither able to do anything. Is there a work around for these machines?

Reaction score
Hi Sails Slowly,

to reset a locked BIOS, look at the manual of your laptop and find how to remove /replace the BIOS CMOS battery, remove the battery for about 30 mins then put it back in again and you should just have to run set up in BIOS after that!.

If you have a bootable copy of Windows 10 (USB or DVD), you can try the following options:

If the above doesn't work, try the following link.

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/reset-windows-10-when-windows-wont-boot.14/ :)

DO YOU HAVE ALL YOUR FILES BACKED UP IN CASE THINGS GO WRONG?. :eek:

Reaction score
If the Bios battery - trick fails, try this.
1. Please enter some password (wrong password) 3 times, press ENTER and you should receive a new window stating system disabled and a code similar to this one (For HP Mini, should be 10 characters, for others should be 8 characters long) :
make sure you write the code down. next time you access this CODE will disable the password.
2. Download the updated or same BIOS for you system, USB , turn off laptop, insert the USB start the laptop and it should then update the BIOS which will allow you to disable - change- reset or what ever.... anyway it has worked on Dell Laptops.

Ask a Question