SOLVED Can't install Microtek ScanMaker 4850 or soft ware on Win 10

Reaction score
I'm unable to install my old Microtek ScanMaker 4850 on my newly installed Win 10. I get "error extracting support files: Catastrophic failure". Have tried installation several times, but no go. Am wondering if there is any fix out there - I've not found one that works. My PC is an old Dell Vostro 400 , 3. gb ram, 32 bit os x 64 based processor. Intel 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33 GHz. I have this info on my newly registration page. Just sort of hoping my great old scanner is not a lost cause. My printer has a scanner, but does a very poor job. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
I would look for software version that is compatible with windows 10. I lost my portable scanner for the same reason no windows 10 compatible drivers.

Reaction score
I would look for software version that is compatible with windows 10. I lost my portable scanner for the same reason no windows 10 compatible drivers.
I thank you for input, but I think it is a lost cause, as I am unable to find a driver for my old scanner. I think I've exhausted all possible options. So bummmmmmed.

Reaction score
I would try the driver for the 5800 scanner from Microtek try the Vista or W7 driver and then try the Vuescan system.

Reaction score
I thank you for input, but I think it is a lost cause, as I am unable to find a driver for my old scanner. I think I've exhausted all possible options. So bummmmmmed.

Yes the same with my old Visioneer Road Warrior, So I was forced to get me a HP 250 portable All in one, great printer Scanner for me on the roads.

Reaction score
I have a scanner in my Brother A in one, but a bad scan and also the printed color is not good. Guess that makes a rather sad printer. thanks for responding. Guess I need to mark this one "solved". Ever onward in tech life.

Reaction score
I have a scanner in my Brother A in one, but a bad scan and also the printed color is not good. Guess that makes a rather sad printer. thanks for responding. Guess I need to mark this one "solved". Ever onward in tech life.
What your describing is an older scanner printer that has heads clogged up with old ink and a dirty scan module you can buy cleaning sheets for the scanner the print head are another story to clean up alcohol and qtips might help problem is getting to the area where the old ink has built up. Usually the driver either work or don't work. As in my Visioneer Road Warrior, Visioneer failed to modify the driver for windows 10, its so old its unlikely that they will, I don't think the company is even owned by the same people. If I remember right when I first started with them it was an Adaptec product I was on the BETA testing team then bought out by Visioneer. Not sure who owns them now. I see Nuance has the paperport software that used to come with the portable scanners.

Reaction score
This thread is over a year old. Check the date/s. Is it at all possible the device has been junked, replaced or the OP is no longer following it?

Ask a Question