Can't install update

Reaction score
Some weeks ago I installed a new 500gb hard disk in my laptop and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, therein. I expected that I would need to create a single partition of 500mb reserved for the installation of Windows 10, drive 0 partition 1. To my surprise the new disk was automatically partitioned during the installation of the operating system. Also to my surprise I got an error message that “Windows can’t be installed in drive0 partition 1. This partition is too small. Make sure that the size of the partition is at least 908 mb or select another partition.”
As indicated below the size of drive 0 partition 1 is 549mb which should have been sufficient to take the operating system. Furthermore, I did not make or select partition 3 as another partition for the operating system. but it would appear that windows must have created drive 0 position 3 for that purpose.
What has gone wrong or am I missing something?.
DETAILS OF CURRENT PARTITIONS
Total size Free space Type
Drive 0 Partition 1 549.0 mb 514.0 mb System Reserved
Drive 0 Partition 2 464.0 GB 443.0 GB Primary
Drive 0 Partition 3 839.0 mb 349.0 mb OEM (reserved)
FURTHER ISSUE
I clean reinstalled Windows 10 PRO 64 bit edition on the new hard disk using the original installation disk which would not have included all the updates currently issued. One update required a download & reinstallation of Windows 10 The download was verified ok and moved on to Getting Update Ready. When updating windows 10 was 84% complete I got an error message to say “Something went wrong. You can contact Microsoft Support for help with this error. Here is the error code 0xc1900208. There is a Try again button which I clicked”. The program resumed checking for updates, then with making sure you are ready to install, and what needs your attention ( I uninstalled an incompatible program). The program then continued with INSTALLING WINDOWS 10. (your PC will restart several times).When the installation was 14% completed further progress did not occur for over one and a half hours when I cancelled the SETUP. I then got a further “Something went wrong message. Contact Microsoft help with error code 0x800704C7”.
Advice on how to overcome the issues which are preventing the installation of the windows 10 update would be appreciated, Also advise on whether there could be circumstances which would make the partition size required to accommodate Windows 10 pro 64 bit to be substantially greater than 500mb .
Thank you

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi @DODO,

The 500MB partition you see is the "system reserved" partition, which contains essential information required to boot your PC (Boot Configuration Database, etc..). This is not the Windows OS itself - that resides on the Primary partition and is approx. 20GB.

Rather than re-creating all of the partitions manually, Windows will automatically generate the system reserved partition when it doesn't already exist.

When using a new HDD to install Windows, I just let Windows setup automatically create a Primary partition to take up the full size of the disc. If you're happy to lose any existing data on a disc, you can just delete all of the partitions on it and let Windows re-create them as it requires.

I would download an up-to-date installation ISO from this URL (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10) and burn it to DVD or USB stick. Then, try doing a clean install using this newer installer. If you don't need any of the data on the 500GB disc, just delete all of the partitions on it and let Windows create them for you once you select the "empty" space as an install location.

Reaction score
Many thanks for your advice.
Following your recommendation I have downloaded windows 10 installation media and saved it in an 8 GB USB Memory stick.
I presume that the installation media is fully updated which should resolve the issues I was having with updating the original installation disk used when I first installed Windows 10 about 6 months ago. Also since I did not partition the HDD it must have been partitioned during setup or alternatively it may have been sold with 3 empty partitions.
I decided in the first instance not to clean install Windows. I intended to do so if there are any problems installing Windows 10 after using the installation media.
Sorry to say I am having such problems. The installation of Windows 10 stage started at 4 pm yesterday and progressed slowly reaching only 12% completed by midnight. I decided to let it run overnight. At 8 am this morning it had only reached 19%. It is now 6pm, it had been running for 26 hours & remains frozen at 19 % completed. I have not received any error messages to say what is causing the problem.
I am able to access DISK MANAGEMENT which gives the following record when 19% of installation was completed..
VOLUME LAYOUT TYPE FILE SYS’M STATUS CAPACITY FREE SPACE % FREE
C Simple Basic NTFS Healthy (B.. 464.4 gb 420.69 gb 91%

D Simple Basic FAT 32 Healthy (P.. 731 gb 7.29 gb 100%

Disk 0
Partition 3 Simple Basic Healthy (R.. 839mb 839 mb 100%
System
Reserved Simple Basic NTFS Healthy (S.. 549 mb 514 mb 94%
Windows 10
Updated (F) Simple Basic UDF Healthy (P.. 3.41gb 0 mb 0%

Disk 0 partition 3 is described as a healthy recovery partition 839 mb
(C) healthy (boot, page file, crash dump, primary partition 464.4 gb NTFS
(D) Is the USB memory stick on which I saved the installation media..
It looks like that the only viable option for me now is to carry out a clean installation of Windows 10.
If I delete the contents of each partition does that also delete the partitions or would they remain as empty partitions? Would reformatting the drive be a better option?
Thanks again for your help.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you only got 1 x 500GB drive in the laptop? I note that your "D" drive is listed as 731GB, but thought that may be a typo (instead of 7.31GB) or perhaps there's a 2nd drive I wasn't aware of.

As long as your're happy to lose all of your data with a fresh install, I would delete all of the partitions (no need to format anything) and do a clean install. Just select the ~500GB of unpartitioned space as the install destination and Windows 10 will do the rest. Hopefully it won't get stuck this time!

Reaction score
Yes I have installed a 500gb drive in my laptop. Drive D is in fact an external USB PEN DRIVE 7.31GB CAPACITY IN WHICH I HAD DOWNLOADED THE MEDIA TOOL.

It was my intention to stop the installation of Windows 10 pro using the media tool after the installation had frozen at only 19% completion in 26 hours. I then intended to restart the process except this time with a clean installation. My good intentions were frustrated by an unexpected family bereavement. In fact I had unintentionally left the computer running for 4 days. To my surprise I found that windows 10 installation had completed in the meantime. However, I suspected that all was not well when a program failed to load because it needed 30 mb of space available on your disk drive which was not available! I decided to proceed with a clean installation of Windows 10 as originally intended.
I clicked on the media tool which I had previously downloaded and saved on a USB memory stick. Windows 10 setup opened. I was not asked to select an option to carry out a clean installation which would have enabled me to delete the existing partitions.
I accepted the licence terms & clicked on upgrade this PC now. I then got an error message to say “This tool can’t upgrade your PC. The language or edition of Windows that is currently installed on your PC isn’t supported by this tool.” I don’t understand. The current edition of windows was installed (taking a very long time in the process) using the same media tool on the same USB memory stick which I am now attempting to use, the only difference being that I am selecting a clean installation rather the option to keep private files and settings. Furthermore, SYSTEM INFORMATION shows that WINDOWS 10 Pro, version 10.0.17134, Build 17134, SystemType x64 based PC is currently installed on my Laptop.
I had reservations about clicking on upgrade your PC. What I really wanted was to reinstall an updated version of Windows Pro but that option was not given per se. I concluded that upgrading the PC would be synonymous with installing an updated version of the program.
I should be able to delete the existing program partitions in disk management thereby deleting the existing program. If I do that will I need to reboot the PC and if so can I reboot from the media tool?
Your further advice will as always be appreciated.
Kind regards
DODO

Ask a Question