Can't log in with Microsoft account

Reaction score
I realize there was another thread based on this, which suggested I create a new account, and it works, but I have billions of data, settings and apps in my old account that I've accumulated over three and a half years of use. I've tried to set this one to a non-admin account, and re-admin it, but to no avail. A popup box with no content briefly flashes onto the screen, but then disappears and doesn't let me log in. This is through Cortana, mail, calendar, the settings app and just about anywhere that lets me log in through MS Account. Anyone have a solution other than moving everything?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Pro or Home version?
If Pro.....
right click the Start Button and choose run, type
lusrmgr.msc
hit enter
Open the users folder and right click the problem account and choose set password
at the prompt click yes (I'm sure) NOTE: Do not do this if your are using EFS, Bitlocker or other Third Party Encryption associated with this account.
leave it blank to clear the password and click OK
See if that will let you login to the problem account now.

If Home version....
You should be able to accomplish the same thing through the Control Panel -> User Accounts applet -> Manage another account
Albeit somewhat clumsier

Ask a Question