SOLVED Can't Open Any Of My Word Documents

Reaction score
Hi , Newbie here. I am honestly trying to learn. bought a manual and all. Definitely helps and I think windows ten okay maybe just takes awhile to learn new system? I am reading "the missing manual" a bit at a time and staring to 'get it". ANYWAY....the issue...

I just had window ten loaded by a computer guy this week and I just tried to open a document and was unable to open ANY documents. UMMMM... help please? I noticed word is not on my computer anymore (it was on my old XP) Is it because all my documents are in word? thanks for any help...

Dalene

Reaction score
Did the computer guy do the Windows update to get W10 or a clean install? If the latter then I guess he assumed you would reload Word form your original CD. I would check with the 'computer guy' before doing anything.

Bif

Reaction score
Hi and welcome..we're all trying to learn from each other here!..
First off was this computer guy installing Microsoft word or Office suite which is what you'll need to open a word doc.There are apps in the store that will also accomplish this..just search in the store.
Or check all of your installed app/programs for Microsoft Word or Suite.

Reaction score
BUT watch out for a little orange icon called 'get Office' That could suddenly get you a 1 GB download of the new Office 2016 for a 30 day trila and then possibly a bill for it later.

Reaction score
thank you all. I think it was a clean download and I don't think I have the disc anymore. Yeah and he installed open office so I would not have to pay for (word) office again. Is there anyway to convert the files or should I just "bite it" and buy official office again? If I do by Office will the documents open for sure? or am I having another problem? should my documents just have opened automatically without word installed?

Reaction score
Sorry tim did not get your whole msg first time round... okay so i have to purchase office or microsoft word by the sounds of it. Thanks again for your reply. I do hope this solves the problem!

Reaction score
Hold on to your wallet. Open Office is ablke to open Word docs. AS you refer to XP, I would guess your docs are *.doc, and not *.docx?

Try this, right click a *.doc on your computer. It will pop up with the option "open with", in the list of possibles, should be Open Office. If you don not see it, click the further option "Choose another App". You should then be able to find the Open Office executive.
Alternatively, Open "Open Office" and find a doc, and open it.

Reaction score
Open Office is now called Apache Open Office and is the same set of applications as Libre Office but maintained by a different set of people. They are both free so whichever you have is good. They are slightly different to use than MS Office but they are close enough. The first time you open a MS doc with Open Office it will ask you if you wish to convert rather than stay in MS format.. Modern versions of MS Office can read and use Open Office documents and reconvert them if required.

OpenOffice Writer (Libre Office Writer) will open and edit MS Word documents 99% perfectly unless you are doing a few complex things and even then they are mostly to do with formatting. I used Open Office and the later version Libre Office for some years and still have them installed.

You can 'pin' any of the separate applications to Start or to Task Bar for convenience.

Reaction score
You might ponder on "OpenOffice Writer (Libre Office Writer)" in Tim's post. If you did not pick up, that is the "Word" part of the whole LibreOffice suite., which you can download, free, no catches, here:

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/

It includes parallel sections to MS Office, albeit under different titles. I use it on my desktop as a better alternative to the MS product. Highly recommended Why pay out cash , when there is a free alternative that gets the job done.

Reaction score
See if you can open Control Panel in Safe Mode or Clean Boot State. If you can, then some start-up is interfering with its operation. In Clean Boot State you will have to identify the offending program by disabling/enabling each of the start-ups.

Reaction score
If the Open/Libre Office suites had a Outlook like mail client that could interface fully with MS Exchange, MS would probably sue them or buy them to preserve Office sales!
See if you can open Control Panel in Safe Mode or Clean Boot State. If you can, then some start-up is interfering with its operation. In Clean Boot State you will have to identify the offending program by disabling/enabling each of the start-ups.

Looks like an answer to the wrong thread to me!

Reaction score
and thanks to all of you others who helped me learn other aspects as well about "office" types!

Reaction score
I had my MS office product key handy. Downloaded the program again from MS, inserted the key number when the program requested it and got an fresh install and updated of MS Office. They did suggest MS Office 365 as an alternative but I declined MS Office 2010 is fine with me.

Ask a Question