Can't Open Control Panel or File Explorer

Reaction score
New Skylake based build with Windows 10 Pro on a 250GB Samsung SSD. After initial startup I decided to format the drive to repartition it and did a clean install of Win10. Shortly after, the wireless connection to the router kept failing every few minutes and I would have to repair it. Then suddenly for no reason I could find I couldn't open the control panel. Clicking the taskbar icon would cause the screen to blink and all the taskbar icons would disappear and reappear. Decided to do a reset and that seemed to work until suddenly, again without warning or reason, I couldn't open the File Explorer and it did the same thing the Control Panel did and couldn't find a way to repair it. Booted up from the Win10 install USB device and did another clean install of Win10. Got all of my programs reinstalled and running and all was well so I quickly did a system and partition backup with Todo. The wireless connection was working but suddenly I once again couldn't open the control panel. I had installed all Windows updates after doing the backups including the new version update but I don't know if there was anything in there that might have triggered the control panel issue. I booted up with the Todo emergency boot disc and did a partition restore. Everything is once again functional and I'm delaying running any Windows updates. Ran NOD32 virus scans and SFC /SCANNOW and neither found any problems or issues.

Any ideas on what might be causing the problems? I'm just cruising along at the moment waiting for another incidence to occur. Is it possible I have a flaky SSD? Windows 10 seems to have a few issues with SSDs such as showing two instances of the same drive in File Explorer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it possible I have a flaky SSD?
It's possible, I suppose. Have you checked to see if there is a firmware update for that drive?
Have you check to see if there is a BIOS update for that motherboard?

Reaction score
The first thing I do with a new motherboard is flash the current BIOS/UEFI and I have the most current on this board. I checked the Samsung site but there is no mention of a firmware update for the 850 EVO.

Ask a Question