Can't open down loads

Reaction score
Since up grading to Windows 10 I can't open any down loads . It keeps telling me to buy Office, which I have no wish to do so. Please advise how I can read my down loads without spending a load of money

Reaction score
I can no longer open down loaded files without being asked to purchase "Office" soft wear. How can I avoid this costly item?

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Hi have you tried Open Office it is free to use and works almost the same as Office 365 or Office 2016

Reaction score
Or Libre Office which is a somewhat more uptodate version of Open Office

These downloads. What file extension do they have? .doc ? .docx for documents or .xls .xlsx for spreadsheets. Or what?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Margaret,

What type of file are you trying to open? If you can provide the file extension that will help us identify it - just right click the file and select "properties" - it's the last few letters of the filename after the dot.

It may be that you are trying to open a Word file (or similar) and you are being prompted to buy MS office. If that's the case, you could install a free Office suite such as https://www.openoffice.org/.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Margaret, please try to refrain from cross posting across multiple sub-forums.
As you can see, multiple people have made suggestions in the two different threads.
It often results in confusion and sometimes people working at cross purposes.
I've merged both your threads here under one title.

Ask a Question