Can't open files in Windows 10

Reaction score
When I try to open a file, the never-ending "wait" circle appears. When I open Task Manager, it indicates Windows Explorer is not responding. When I end that task, I'm left with a blank screen and must log out and back in again. There are rare situations when a document will open, but these are rare indeed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Jerri and welcome to the forum.
All files, some files, .doc, .docx, .pdf, .xls, ???
Are you launching them from within their location or are you launching them from within the application they were created with ( like Word, Excel, etc.,)?
Try right clicking a file (any file you are having this issue with) choose properties, select the security tab, click the advanced button, see who the "Owner" of the files is, typically in the case of normal data files this should be you, if not you may want to explicitly change it to your User Account.
Next check to see who has permissions and what they are, again..... typically your user account should have explicit full control of normal data files that you've created.

Ask a Question