Can't open Word 97 - 2003 docs - was working fine previously

Reaction score
Hi - really hoping someone can assist me here...

I use Windows 10 on my Dell laptop, and have done so without any problems for the last 18 months or so. In the last week or so I have been unable to open word 97 - 2003 documents properly, I just get a load of jumbled characters on screen. Other word docs seem to open properly.

I have tried right clicking the docs and opening using word, but to no avail. I am at my wits end and really hope someone can assist as I need these docs urgently.

Please help! Jane

Reaction score
First, open the Control panel - Programs and features. Click on the office program and select repair. It might be enough to solve the problem.

Reaction score
Hi @davehc - many thanks for your reply. I tried the online repair but the problem remains :( When I try to open my 97 - 2003 word docs I get the gobbledegook as before :( I have attached 2 screenshots to illustrate.

Attachments

• Screenshot (214).png
    Screenshot (214).png
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,084
  • Screenshot (215).png
    Screenshot (215).png
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,056

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It might also be helpful to know which version of Office or Word you are using on your Windows 10 install.
You images look like something I would typically associate with a corrupt file.
Where are these files located? Locally on your hard disk or an external resource (USB or network)?
Have you tried to copy them onto external media and attempt to open one of them on another machine running Word?
Is this happening with all docs created before the upgrade or just a select few? Does it also happen with any new docs that you might have created since the upgrade?

Reaction score
What he said ^^^

Also you might try downloading LIbre Office and opening the documents with Libre Office Writer. I am fairly sure that nothing in that suite depends on any variety of W10. I have the same version of W10 and Office 2016 and I have just opened some old documents that claim to be in Word 97 format with no problem both with Word 2016 and Libre Office.

Reaction score
Hi @Trouble - and thank you for your reply. I am using Microsoft Office 2013 Home & Student. The files are on my hard drive in my document folder and in my google drive folder. I tried copying one onto a usb but my partner couldn't open it either on his PC.
My 'Microsoft Word' docs are fine and openable, it's just the 97 - 2003 docs that are affected. Newly created docs (word docs) are fine, it is just older formats.
I did have a ransomware demand pop up when I was changing security software a couple of weeks ago - it disappeared when I ran malwarebytes and ran a new, full security/virus scan with Kaspersky (the problem started occuring before I installed Kaspersky). Might the problem be something to do with the ransomware and ONLY be affecting my 97 - 2003 docs?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I did have a ransomware demand pop up
That pretty much explains it then.
Ransomware will result in most everything from docs to some txt, even pdf, xls, even some picture and music extensions being copied, encrypted and the originals deleted, leaving you with nothing useable in many file formats.
Generally getting rid of a ransomware infection is relatively easy, but for most of the recent iterations there is no recovering the encrypted files resulting from the infection.
If you don't have them backed up somewhere, I'm afraid you may be out of luck. Sorry......

Ask a Question