Can't Read Many of My JPEGs

Reaction score
I have been using Windows 7 and all my JPEGs worked fine. Upgraded to Windows 10 and about 1/2 of all my JPEGs can't be read by ANY programs. I get the message "Not a valid JPEG-JFIF File". What is the fix here? I NEED my JPEGs! Thanks!

Reaction score
I've got loads of JPEGs that are working fine after upgrading to Win10. What programs are you using? Is it possible you could provide a sample of one that doesn't work that I could try? I have a number of photo apps that I can try opening it with.

Reaction score
I tried to upload the file here and got this error "The uploaded file was not an image as expected". This is the problem. I have used these JPGs regularly over the last few years, and have a paint program I use with them, and now it won't even read them. When I mouse over the image file icon it says "Item type JPG File", but the system doesn't recognize it.

Reaction score
Ok, just as a test, I uploaded an image here. The first try resulted in an error that the image was too large, so I picked a smaller one just to be sure I could successfully upload a jpeg. It almost sounds as though the file you tried is somehow corrupted since the uploader doesn't think it's a valid image.

Have you tried something like irfanview? http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

It sometimes works where other viewers fail.

One other thing you could try before uploading that image is to zip it. That might get it past the uploader.

Attachments

• IMG_1714.JPG
    IMG_1714.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 668
Reaction score
Thanks tomheaverlo, your image downloaded and worked fine. I'll look into irfanview and zipping the image. I'll post tomorrow after my experimnts.

Ask a Question