SOLVED Can't Read taskbar items when mouse hovers over item

Reaction score
I made some modifications to the display by going to Start/Run rundll32.exe shell32.dll,‌Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,Advanced,@Advanced. When I hover my mouse over an items on the taskbar (whether it's an application or even the time), it's colored dark blue & becomes unreadable. I tried playing with the backgrounds on the high contrast items above, but can't seem to find what controls it. Can someone tell me how to change just that background color?

Thank you in advance,

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK for sure but it sounds like it may have something to do with your choice of accent color and whether or not you have chosen to apply them to
Start, taskbar and action center
AND
Title bars
Start -> Settings -> Personalization -> Colors ->

Capture1.PNG

Failing that you might want to see if you have a restore point that pre-dates the change that you made.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply. I was able to change it by using Classic Start Menu, a 3rd party download. FYI, my restore points don't work...I can create one, but restore gives me an error.

I notice that your Settings/Color screen has the options under "Show accent color on the following surfaces". I don't have that in my screen & I don't think I've ever seen it. Could I have done something to accidentally remove it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't have that in my screen & I don't think I've ever seen it. Could I have done something to accidentally remove it?
Nope......
We just find ourselves in one of those difficult times during a transition of the Operating System.
I'm currently running the latest version of Windows 10 which began its' roll-out yesterday (15063.138) while a lot of the rest of the world is still running an earlier version (14393.1066) or earlier.
AND
Somehow, I'm going to have to try and remember that when posting images from my computer in the future (at least until more people catch up).
In short..... I'm not surprised in the differences you've mentioned as, there are quite a few feature and function difference between the two versions.

Ask a Question