Can't save files, no e-mail, now system won't reboot at all.

Reaction score
It just sits there with a red screen and circling dots for hours. I have no access to change the boot options or anything else.
I did find a thread from someone claiming to be a Microsoft Software engineer giving directions to change ownership of files on the computer. After 3+ hours it finally finished and put out some message about changing profile or something like that. I had no idea what to with it so I just booted the system. It took another 3+ hour to complete the reboot and apparently undid al the ownership changes. I gave up for a day or more but turned on the computer last night. Six hours later it still spinning white dot on a red background with no access to any OS.

Reaction score
Hey Bill. never heard of this before. I've had some strange things happen to me, but not like this. Sounds like a pretty big virus to me. The only thing I can suggest, have you tried starting the computer in Safe Mode ? Then start your Anti Virus programme. This might do something. Cheers. Ken.

Reaction score
Hey Bill. never heard of this before. I've had some strange things happen to me, but not like this. Sounds like a pretty big virus to me. The only thing I can suggest, have you tried starting the computer in Safe Mode ? Then start your Anti Virus programme. This might do something. Cheers. Ken.

Reaction score
Thanks, Ken, but you don't understand the seriousness of the problem. This is strictly a Windows 10 issue and the ONLY interaction I have with the computer is the POWER button. All I can do is turn it on and watch the little white dots on a red background. It did this for 6+ hours the other day. There is no other interaction or screen or function keys or anything else available.
Before this started, I had a pretty clean Windows 10 install but I could not save a single file on my computer anywhere. I found a set of directions on W10 Help page that told about resetting the ownership. I tried it and the process ran for over 3 hours and then put out some message to open and reset a profile. I had no idea how to do what the message asked for so I just rebooted the systems. It then showed me the red screen and dots for 3+ hours while I assume it was backing out the changes. Subsequent power-on restarts are completely unsuccessful. I am now looking for the way back to Windows 7 PRO that I was using.

Reaction score
Sorry Bill for the huge problem you are having. It's beyond me. .... I have no idea. Maybe guys such as Trouble and davidhk129 may pick this thread up and help you. They are pretty cluey. Take care Bill. Ken.

Ask a Question