Can't Update Ver 1607

Reaction score
Using ver 1511. When I try update it stops at about 23% and does not finish the update. Any help would be appreciated.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi theProfessor,

Could you clarify what you mean by 'update stops are about 23%' please.

Are you meaning you are only downloading around 23% of the Windows 10 update you need to install a current version, or did you mean that when running the Setup.exe that comes with the iso you download, that as it installs the current version it stops at 23%?

If the latter, how are you trying to install it? Did you mount the ISO image and attempt to run setup that way, or did you burn a DVD with the ISO image, or a USB installation disk?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I installed windows 10 last year. ver 1511. I normally keep Windows update disabled. Last update 3 months ago. So I turned back on and I had several updates. The last one was ver. 1607. So it eventually got to it. Let it run about 2 hours and it did not get passed 23%. I think it timed out. Says the "update was not successfull".

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK,

You're probably correct about the timeout being a likely issue.

What you could do is press Windows key and S key together to give focus to the Search box.

In the Search box type troubleshooting then press Enter key

In the window that opens on left pane click View all then in main window click Windows update to run the built-in troubleshooting tool for Windows update service.

Another possibility given you were downloading 3 months of updates is the SoftwareDistribution folder updates are unpacked in simply got clogged up.

In Safe Mode you can open File Explorer, then navigate to C:\Windows and locate and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.old, then restart computer so Windows can create a fresh SoftwareDistribution folder and try updating again.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I did get 1607 installed. I just re-stated the download and it started the install. Strange. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
This 1607 is driving me mad-- latest thing I've tried is the update tool via usb same result --- remove this app-- scan -- haven't a clue what it is refering to-- every time I get a failed automatic update my wifi disappears-- only way back is a system restore-- I've also had programme compatability issues-- not impressed with Windows 10

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This 1607 is driving me mad-- latest thing I've tried is the update tool via usb same result --- remove this app-- scan -- haven't a clue what it is refering to-- every time I get a failed automatic update my wifi disappears-- only way back is a system restore-- I've also had programme compatability issues-- not impressed with Windows 10
Hello Robin and welcome to the forum.
Backup all your critical data and then consider also making a complete disk image so you have a strong fall back position in case things don't go as planned.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
Disconnect any un-needed peripherals, leaving only a wired keyboard, mouse and of course your monitor.
THEN.....Clean boot your computer and then attempt the upgrade.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

Reaction score
I have also had problems when trying to install 1607.

The first time was under Windows Update. The upgrade downloaded and the installation appeared to take place, but at the very end the computer seemed to go into a loop, with only the small animated circle showing on-screen. The hard drive active light would on occasion blink, but the installation would not complete. After five hours I had to power off, boot from a recovery USB, and restore 1511 from a system image.

The second time I tried to upgrade to 1607 I downloaded and created a USB installer. Once again, the upgrade seemed to install but hung at the very end, requiring another restore from a system image.

I am running Windows 10 Pro x64 on a CyberPower laptop with an i7 2630 processor and 8 GB RAM. I also have some files on an NAS set to be always available offline. I am wondering if this may somehow be causing the problem.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
I have one PC which will not update to 1607. I have tried "forcing it" but when I do that, it downloads, starts the update, reboots, flashes very quickly, does another reboot and re-installs (or reverts back to) the previous version. The normal Windows Update never even thinks about v1607 - just applies the normal security patches.

The PC is about 18 months old and is an I7-4750 (or similar) with 12gb memory and masses of disk space. Its got an nvidia GTX 970 graphics card (nothing special, came with the PC). Device manager show everything working OK.

Anyone got ideas I can try? It;s my last PC which won't go to 1607.

Alan

Reaction score
Hi,

Maybe try a clean install with no baggage such as NAS or unnecessary peripherals connected to the PC.

Back up stuff before proceeding and, sadly you will have to reinstall programs you added.

I have one PC, HP 810-150, also running a GTX 970, which has run Win 10 since the beginning of the Insider Program, that has always cleanly installed or updated/upgraded correctly. Never had an upgrade or clean install issue.

Call me lucky.

I have kept my factory install and a Win 7 install on separate SSD's as a fallback in case the various Win 10 installs/upgrades and updates borked my PC.

Jaco

Reaction score
I have a lot of software on my laptop, so I REALLY want to avoid the need for a clean install. I will try cancelling the "always available offline" status of my network files and then attempting an upgrade to 1607. I may wait a few months and download a new version of 1607 before trying again, since 1511 seem to be working well at the moment.

Reaction score
Jaco,

I have far too much stuff on there to consider doing a clean install. version 1511 is working OK, so I'll stay with that. My only bugbear is that 1607 will display my Canon M3 CR2 thumbnails in Explorer and 1511 won't. Not a good reason to rebuild the whole PC.

Alan

Reaction score
I have also had problems when trying to install 1607.

The first time was under Windows Update. The upgrade downloaded and the installation appeared to take place, but at the very end the computer seemed to go into a loop, with only the small animated circle showing on-screen. The hard drive active light would on occasion blink, but the installation would not complete. After five hours I had to power off, boot from a recovery USB, and restore 1511 from a system image.

The second time I tried to upgrade to 1607 I downloaded and created a USB installer. Once again, the upgrade seemed to install but hung at the very end, requiring another restore from a system image.

I am running Windows 10 Pro x64 on a CyberPower laptop with an i7 2630 processor and 8 GB RAM. I also have some files on an NAS set to be always available offline. I am wondering if this may somehow be causing the problem.

Any thoughts?

It turns out my problem was caused by having a wireless keyboard & mouse attached to the laptop. When I pulled out the USB wireless transceiver, the upgrade immediately continued successfully. Once it completed, I re-inserted the transceiver and everything seemed ok.

Ask a Question