Can't upgrade to IE 11, so I can't get the Windows 10 button to show.

Reaction score
Running genuine version of Windows 7 Pro on a Dell Laptop. Have been trying for weeks to upgrade my IE 10 to IE 11. I've tried all the suggestions I could find online and nothing works. So I guess if you don't have IE 11 installed, the Windows 10 button won't show. Is there another way to get it?

Reaction score
Hello ,

I've been dealing with windows 10 for awhile on several of my PC's for a year or so, and I am familiar with Desktop's and Laptop's alike, and all I can say is in the begging of the Windows 10 Developer's Preview ISO files' if you are Dual Booting Like I did with Dell Laptop's 1525 Inspiron or 1737 Studio in which I am working Win 10 Pro after my final upgrade 3 day's ago, right now contacting you about this problem is.

For some reason Dell PC Laptop's won't accept Win 10 correctly in dual boot mode's, but if you do a fresh install without the dual boot of other Windows OS on the same PC like like I did with Dell Laptop's in the beginning ,Like I did on this 1737 Studio Dell which was made in 2009 it work's with no real bugs or issue's. For some reason the OS work's great on a Dell if you make sure you go to the Dell site on line and upgrade all of your driver's from the Dell site according to your specific Laptop Model and make,after the install of Windows 10.

And some of the Developer Series Build's have a problem with the Start button responding, or showing up just restart and press F9 and it will take you to the troubleshoot tile and recovery tile on a blue screen, and you have the option to recover the PC to the beginning of the redoing the files of the OS your installing. I had the same problem twice on my 1525 Insprion Laptop's which I have 2 so, I had to not use the Win 10 in those particular Laptop's because I am using Win 7 Ultimate and Vista Ultimate Dual Boot on my PC and my wife got so disgusted with the test's in the past with the previous build's on her's she wanted her Win 7, back because I had Win 7 and Win 10 on the same PC and it was interfering with her Win 7 so she just has Win 7 on her 1525 Insprion.

But now since the final upgrade is out, I had a upgrade 3 days ago on my 1737 Studio, and it affected the files on the old build that was already in place on the old build, and I restored like I suggested to you in this forum, and it work's perfectly, but I did have to check and make sure my drivers were on line, after the redo of the OS, and I had to reinstall some of the app's from the Microsoft store but it is great now. I would prefer Dell Laptop's myself because of the durability and reliability, but I have a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC that was made in 2007, and it has been smooth with the Dual Boot Mode Set Up, it has Win 7 Ultimate, and Vista Ultimate, and Win 10 all on the same Laptop, and it work's perfectly.Due to my personal trial's and error's."

So, I think a lot of the problem's with a Dell is their configuration of their driver's, according to the Make and Model you can only get specific driver's, and it has conflict with the Win 10 OS to some degree. I also read that Dell is or was trying to make a software deal to Microsoft to get them to pay for certain permissions to download their OS on their PC's, and Server's, back 7 or 8 month's ago, but I believe due to their bully tactic's in, (which you can't believe all that you read, you have to use your own judgement, according to your personal experience) HP got fist contract's signed to download and use the new OS in their PC's, and server's first before Dell pulled their head out of their a** so, dude I hope this help's, and you can come up with a solution wit your problem.

The Developer's Build's in the past were test's for them to build a complete secure OS to take back some of the market share due to Steve Ballmer's mismanagement of Win 8,and get back on track like when 75 to 80% of the Market Share was Windows XP PC's back in 2002. Apple has the majority market share now, and has since a little been after Win 7 had so many bugs in it in the beginning. I know because I had to use 3rd party driver finder's to straighten out a lot of my issues with Dells specific and select driver site in order to get my dell PC's to act right with Win 10.

Reaction score
Thank you for your extensive reply. My Dell is an Inspiron 1520 that originally came with Vista. I downloaded the Media Creator as suggested by Calab, it installed fine, but after running it, I chose to download and make a DVD to install later. It said it was working and sat there all night still working, but doing nothing. I finally gave up after 12 hours or so, and tried to cancel it. Then it said to wait until it closed out some installation files, I left that running for another 4 hours with no result, until I gave up and pulled the plug. Now if I try to run the program again, nothing happens for awhile, until a small pop up says "SOMETHING HAPPENED" and that's it. What a piece of crap! If that's going to be my experience with 10, you can keep it.

Reaction score
Driver's are your issue, it's a Dell gotta get all driver's after the install or it will stall and give you Hell, trust me I have reinstalled Win 10 at least 10 times since the first introduction of the Win 10 Preview on my Dell PC's, in figuring out the problem if you even get a fresh install you have to go to the Dell site and register to get the driver's for your Laptop, get all driver's for that particular model and make , if you use VM or virtual over Win 8.1 or Win 7 on certain software it may work or it may not, depending on the software,

There are comment's and info on search engine link's concerning VM Virtual that will make it clear what works and what doesn't, that is why if you wan't all software to work with Win 10 or Win 7 or even 8.1 or Vista Microsoft and other software vender's suggest you do a clean and complete install period, for all of your software that you download will work. With VM there is no guarantee."" Virtual is designed for light trail surfing and some office work but not real gaming or serious solid computing.""

It is to try different OS's and see if you like the configuration without wiping you PC Clean and doing a full install, and then find out you don't like it, so if you don't like it you won't lose your original info that came with your PC before you tried the new OS"To, see if you like it or not without ruining your PC"

Ask a Question