SOLVED CD/DVD not playing.

Reaction score
Hi guys , since I downloaded Windows 10 my LG DVD/CD player does not play cd's or dvd's when they are inserted. The light blinks when reading the cd/dvd, but then nothing! On the old 7 system the cd would automatically start playing. Now I cannot find the cd player or any of the hard drive ports. I expected the Wizard to automatically find the player.
Will appreciate your help.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Windows 10 does not have a DVD player as in Windows 7. You'll have to either download a free one or buy one. Microsoft has one in the Store but it costs about $15. Just go to the Store and search for it. Supposedly, if you are running an upgrade from 7, it will be free. If not, it will show the price.

But you can download VLC. However, the Store version does not support DVDs. You have to go their site and download the Desktop version.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Reaction score
Thanks OGG, the download fixed it!! why would windows omit that?? Unbelievable. Wish I was clever like you.

Reaction score
Well, every manufacturer of an OS or even hardware changes things from time to time. Just look at the new headphones for the Apple. No cord. Someone there decided that wireless was the thing of the future.

It reminds me of the time they put seat belts in cars that automatically open and closed and locked when you sat down. That didn't last more that one model year. Same with vocal door warnings that used to say 'Your door is ajar'. They didn't last long either.

The good news is that in a competitive market, someone will fill a void if enough people want it.

Have fun!!

OGG

Reaction score
You're showing your age now OGG. I remember as a kid I had to follow the horse and cart with a bucket and pick up the dung to put on the rhubarb - till I found it was better with custard.

Reaction score
You're showing your age now OGG. I remember as a kid I had to follow the horse and cart with a bucket and pick up the dung to put on the rhubarb - till I found it was better with custard.

Good morning OGG,
Disaster!! I thought we had fixed my problem as the first DVD I inserted played ok. but the next day I tried it was back to where I came in. It doesn't work for DVDs or CDs I tried deleting and re-installing the programme but still the same. I do have a desktop tower, does the VLC you recommended support that? the FAQ's say check the codecs - please explain.
arnold.

Reaction score
The type of system doesn't matter. Are you sure you are using the Desktop version and not the Windows Store version? What exactly happens when you try to run the disk?

Reaction score
Hi OGG, thanks for your patience. I installed the VLC download you suggested on your first answer. Now when I open the program it tells me my playlist is empty, but I cannot put anything in it with my DVD/CD player. it comes up with an error message saying "VLC is unable to open MRL cdda///c:prog........... and to check log for details. I think I have checked the log? it says 0 blocks and 0 everything!! one of the similar threads suggests to create a registry subkey - I don't know what that means. I also followed a previous thread "drive F not working" I ticked the autoplay and changed all the defaults to play from VLC, still no go. I'm a bit reluctant to change too much without knowing what I'm doing.

Reaction score
Make sure your DVD is clean. It may be having a problem reading a particular file. It that doesn't work, rather than trying to track the problem down, I would go to the Control Panel and uninstall VLC and then reinstalling it.

Then launch the VLC Desktop version and select DVD from there rather than letting it launch it. Once you get it to work, you can always go into the Autoplay settings in Windows and select VLC for DVDs

Reaction score
Thanks, I have uninstalled VLC and gone back to the download site but I cannot see anything to distinguish from the store or desktop version.

Reaction score
Make sure your DVD is clean. It may be having a problem reading a particular file. It that doesn't work, rather than trying to track the problem down, I would go to the Control Panel and uninstall VLC and then reinstalling it.

Then launch the VLC Desktop version and select DVD from there rather than letting it launch it. Once you get it to work, you can always go into the Autoplay settings in Windows and select VLC for DVDs

Happy birthday OGG.

Reaction score
Thanks, I have uninstalled VLC and gone back to the download site but I cannot see anything to distinguish from the store or desktop version.

The store version can only be downloaded from the Windows store, not the VLC site. Just click on it's download and it should start.

Reaction score
'Evening OGG, downloaded VLC again, still no joy!! I'm beginning to think it may the DVD player. It is an LG dvd burner/player fitted into the computer tower.
in the old system I could see it in the list of devices.and drives, but in W10 I can't find it. I would have thought the wizard would automatically find it? Can you tell me how and where I should look for it please.

Reaction score
If the DVD drive is still working electronically, it will show up in the Device Manager. Just right-click on 'This PC' and choose Manage. Once the Computer Management console comes up, click on Device Manager. You should see DVD/ROM devices. Click to expand that and you should see your device.

If it is listed there, it should show on your File Explorer under This PC with the rest of your drives. If it is there, when you insert a DVD it should read it and then, after a few seconds, the File Explorer should show the name of the DVD. If that's not happening and you listen closely, you may hear the drive repeatedly trying to access the disk. If that is happening it's usually a sign of a dirty disk or dirty DVD unit. Check the disk carefully for smudges and try a couple of disks to find out which it is.

If you determine that your DVD unit is bad, it depends on your system what you might want to do. Since you have an LG DVD player (I have LG units on both my desktops), you might want to just buy a new one. They are extremely cheap if it is just a DVD and not a Blue-ray device. At Newegg, they run around $20. Refurbished units are even lower, around $15.

Good luck. I hope you find out what is wrong.

Ask a Question