CD not working

Reaction score
Hi.

I noticed a while back that my cd/dvd stopped working. It doesn't allow me to burn. I have tried various software and different media.
I have tried two other cd/dvd's and it says in properties that they are not migrated.
I have also tried an external cd/dvd and it says that the data exceeds the size of the disk.....odd that considering I am trying to burn 123mb.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Regedit32

Reaction score
When you insert a blank DVD or CD into your ROM player that is all ready installed inside your computer, does the ROM activate and at least open a pop-up asking you what you'd like to do with the disk?

Also, what model DVD is installed on your computer?

Also, what model computer are you using?

Reaction score
The rom player shows up in bios and in device manager and doesn't show any errors.
When I insert a cd/dvd, nothing happens. I have tried different types of media.
The dvd installed is the default one that came with my Dell i3 17ghz, TSSTcorp DVD+-RW SU-208GB.
Sometimes the disks burn to approx 98% then fail, other times I am prompted with insert a blank disc.

I have tried using win media player to burn and CDBurner XP.

Reading seems to be OK of some of the stuff I have.
This is for the internal rom player.

Error message in the event properties of the rom says: Device SCSI\CdRom&Ven_TSSTcorp&Prod_DVD+-RW_SU-208GB\4&202c9f6&0&010000 could not be migrated.

Reaction score
HI darbs,

if it is a laptop, go into Device Manager and remove the drive from the hardware list, shut down your laptop and remove the power cable and battery, there should be a retaining screw somewhere near the drive, unscrew it and remove the DVD drive, reboot your laptop then shut it down again and re-insert the drive and tighten the screw and then restart, it should find new hardware. try the drive again!.:)

Reaction score
HI darbs,

if it is a laptop, go into Device Manager and remove the drive from the hardware list, shut down your laptop and remove the power cable and battery, there should be a retaining screw somewhere near the drive, unscrew it and remove the DVD drive, reboot your laptop then shut it down again and re-insert the drive and tighten the screw and then restart, it should find new hardware. try the drive again!.:)

Makes no difference Wolfie.
Can read but cannot write it seems.

Reaction score
HI darbs,

have you tried a CD cleaner disk?. :)

Never ever use a cd cleaner disc as they scratch the lense on the laser destroying the unit. To clean the laser use a Q-tip and some isopropanol alcohol.

@darbs As for your writing issue, from what I read, it does not seem to be a hardware issue rather than a Windows issue. It looks like Windows does not recognize your ODD as a writer. This could be a firmware issue with the drive although with three different drives and an external that is highly improbable.
Are your drives listed in the BIOS correctly??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is still even applicable in Windows 10, but.....
There is a chance that some software has written an Upper Filters and or Lower Filters entry in the registry which may be causing your issues.
It might be worth having a look here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Might be worth a look see....
IF either Upper or Lower Filters appear in the right pane feel free to delete both either or both entries.
Reboot and see if that has any impact on your issue.

Reaction score
Never ever use a cd cleaner disc as they scratch the lense on the laser destroying the unit. To clean the laser use a Q-tip and some isopropanol alcohol.

@darbs As for your writing issue, from what I read, it does not seem to be a hardware issue rather than a Windows issue. It looks like Windows does not recognize your ODD as a writer. This could be a firmware issue with the drive although with three different drives and an external that is highly improbable.
Are your drives listed in the BIOS correctly??

Yes, showing in BIOS.

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is still even applicable in Windows 10, but.....
There is a chance that some software has written an Upper Filters and or Lower Filters entry in the registry which may be causing your issues.
It might be worth having a look here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Might be worth a look see....
IF either Upper or Lower Filters appear in the right pane feel free to delete both either or both entries.
Reboot and see if that has any impact on your issue.

Not entirely sure what you mean by upper and lower class filters.
reg.png

Regedit32

Reaction score
Not entirely sure what you mean by upper and lower class filters.

Some software applications used to burn a CD/DVD will create new values into the Registry key you showed in your screen shot. UpperFilters and LowerFilters. Occasionally, when the SYSTEM has trouble detecting the CD/DVD Rom drive, deleting those two values can help.

In your case it appears no such filters have been created, so that rules that out as a possibility.

Another option is manually creating a new Registry Key and values for atapi that in some cases will help the SYSTEM discover the CD/DVD rom drive. In an Administrator: Command Prompt you could to this by typing or copy & pasting the following command:

Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi" /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Press Enter key to execute the modifcation

Sample image

img1.png

To reverse this modification in a Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste:

Code:
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi" /f

Press
Enter key to execute the reverse

From what you are describing though, it appears your SYSTEM can read from multiple CD/DVD roms you've tried (which would suggest the device is discovered by the SYSTEM), it just cannot burn a DVD. So adding that additional Registry key and value is unlikely to resolve this issue.

If I am correct and multiple devices you have tried will read, but not write, that I'm my opinion rules out the need to attempt cleaning the optical light involved in burning, as its highly unlikely, this is an issue in multiple devices - that would be one heck of a coincidence!

Your actual issue - in my opinion - appears to be that when upgrading to Windows 10 the Device Driver's inf may not have successfully been migrated to the new OS. That may be because the hardware did not meet the requirements for Windows 10, or that something corrupted the inf file. Note: Even if you did not upgrade to Windows 10 from a former OS, the issue I think you may be suffering from, would still apply to a clean install of Windows 10.

To resolve that, you'd need to go to the manufacturer website for your CD/DVD Rom and see whether they offer drivers suited to the Windows 10 OS, or you could check Acer's website to see whether they offer an updated driver there.

Reaction score
Well I have tried above registry add and it hasn't made any difference.
Have also been to the manufacturers site and it doesn't offer an updated driver.
You mention Acer? Any particular reason why, considering I don't have any Acer products?

Regedit32

Reaction score
You mention Acer? Any particular reason why

Sorry about that I meant Dell's website not Acer. No reason why other than fingers overriding mind *lol*

I'm guessing there may be some proprietary drivers, which would mean you'd have to get them from the Manufacturer of the computer - in your case Dell.

If there are no newer drivers, then given I suspect the migration issue is to do with the INF files for the CD/DVD Rom, then the idea here is to download the most recent drivers you can get - then before installing them - first uninstall the device and its drivers. Also remove the old drivers completely from system; then install the fresh copy of the drivers.

Ask a Question