SOLVED Change From Home To Pro

Reaction score
can i upgrade from home to pro by entering a pro activating key without the need to reinstall windows and loosing my installed software that I have bought and paid for?

Reaction score
Yes you can.

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation

Now click Change product key then enter your Windows 10 Professional Product key and click Next

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12384/windows-10-upgrading-home-to-pro

It did not work out, sorry, The reason is that the key i bought was a OEM key so it was not accepted. Also when i used a win10 pro image it said that It could only make a clean install but the key was accepted. So I will spare this key until I build my new super i7 computer. But anyway thank you for your answer.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Where did you buy the OEM key from? I was under the impression Microsoft Store sold a Retail product not OEMs.

Reaction score
Where did you buy the OEM key from? I was under the impression Microsoft Store sold a Retail product not OEMs.
I bought the key from the net, not from Microsoft Store. Reason for this is that my money are very very low, because I am getting social pension due to my age. That is also why I am buying an i7 gaming computer in pieces, piece by piece so I can give him a birthday present that I can not afford to day.

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
You need to be very cautious there because there are a lot of websites offering OEM discounted windows products that once you attempt to Activate will be rejected by Microsoft.

If it seems too good a deal it likely is a fraudulent sale.

Normally, when you purchase OEM software its sold as a package deal with the hardware you purchased, for example, if you buy a brand name computer like HP, they often come with Windows pre-installed as a OEM product.

These are legal sales and the product will activate, however, the catch here is they often are bundled with proprietary drivers, meaning you need to update drivers from the Manufacturer of the computer website, as other driver update sources may not be fully compatible with the hardware.

Sorry about my earlier answer; I just assumed you had purchased Windows 10 Professional from the Microsoft Store, and ought to have asked first.

Reaction score
You need to be very cautious there because there are a lot of websites offering OEM discounted windows products that once you attempt to Activate will be rejected by Microsoft.

If it seems too good a deal it likely is a fraudulent sale.

Normally, when you purchase OEM software its sold as a package deal with the hardware you purchased, for example, if you buy a brand name computer like HP, they often come with Windows pre-installed as a OEM product.

These are legal sales and the product will activate, however, the catch here is they often are bundled with proprietary drivers, meaning you need to update drivers from the Manufacturer of the computer website, as other driver update sources may not be fully compatible with the hardware.

Sorry about my earlier answer; I just assumed you had purchased Windows 10 Professional from the Microsoft Store, and ought to have asked first.

I am used to reuse the box by changing the motherboard and what is needed to get the computer to run. Together with the motherboard I am receiving a driver DVD/CD. I am reusing the OS disk and until now it have been working out OK. I have also bought OEM windows 7 for one computer as an upgrade to windows XP and it got activated and updated to win 10 without problems. If I by this purchase I just did, is getting a slap over my fingers concerning activating I of course will by a key from Store or my normal computer supplier which is Danish Proshop

Reaction score
I am used to reuse the box by changing the motherboard and what is needed to get the computer to run. Together with the motherboard I am receiving a driver DVD/CD. I am reusing the OS disk and until now it have been working out OK. I have also bought OEM windows 7 for one computer as an upgrade to windows XP and it got activated and updated to win 10 without problems. If I by this purchase I just did, is getting a slap over my fingers concerning activating I of course will by a key from Store or my normal computer supplier which is Danish Proshop

What you should do is buy it from a site that accepts PayPal, which is your assurance of getting money back if there is any kind of fraud involved.
Personally I have bought more than 15 licenses - activation keys - of Win 7 Ultimate for my relatives and clients. Never once have I had a problem.

Reaction score
What you should do is buy it from a site that accepts PayPal, which is your assurance of getting money back if there is any kind of fraud involved.
Personally I have bought more than 15 licenses - activation keys - of Win 7 Ultimate for my relatives and clients. Never once have I had a problem.

the key I bought got activated without any issue. Windows running and activated.

Ask a Question