SOLVED Change name

Reaction score
I have a dell desktop I bought off a good friend of my, it is about 5 years old..

My problem is when I download or make a file and save it, it is saved in her name. So how can I get the name Debbie out and my name in..

Reaction score
When I got the computer off of Debbie, it was running with windows 7. I upgrdaed it to windows 10.

So we are running with windows 10

Ron..

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK then.
  • Click Start > settings cog > System
  • On left side select About
  • In main window click Rename this PC
  • Enter the name you'd like
  • When prompted: Restart computer for changes to take affect

Reaction score
I do have the PC named after me. Ronald..

The problem is when I download or install software, it tells me it's going to a file with Debbie's name..

I want to change this to my name. Guess I have to get into the file base or something.

Ron..

Regedit32

Reaction score
So you are saying the download goes to C:\Users\Debbie\Downloads ???

And this happens when you sign-in as Ron?

Reaction score
I started to make a system backup and if you look at the image I have included it'll show you what I mean..

Maybe we could go from there..

Ron.. Change name.png

Reaction score
So you are saying the download goes to C:\Users\Debbie\Downloads ???

And this happens when you sign-in as Ron?

Ya, I have the PC in my name, I could never get Debbie's name out, so I just left it.. Every time I install anything, it shows her name on the file/s it is going into..

I posted an image of the one file. I am in the process of doing a backup to a UBS storage flash drive..So I grabbed the shot of it.. and posted it.

Ron..

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK Windows 10 Home edition has had a few ways of renaming User accounts deprecated - my guess is Microsoft wants us to buy Professional or Enterprise. I'm almost done composing an article on how to change the Username for Windows 10 Home users.

It's reasonably straight forward, but you need to be caution in Step Four.

I'll post a URL here shortly when its ready, so you can follow the steps.

It will include some pictures to help you make sure you are doing what the instructions say to do.

Reaction score
regedit32, I sure do appreciate all you have done.. I followed your tutorial which is supper great, but, I had the Registry open once to the location and can't find what I wanted.

I will keep trying until I succeed..

Thanks regedit32.

Ron..

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK Ron.

Based on the information and also the image you provided earlier their must be a S-1-5-21 key in the ProfileList that does include the ProfileImagePath who's Value data field points to C:\Users\Debbie.

Given your backups including appdata from the Debbie user account.

Mind you, having said that, I know from my own experience, that Windows Backups in Windows 10 occasionally appear to find orphaned data, that is ghosting and does not actually exist. Essentially, its finding a Registry key which still exists, but the path the key points to does not exist at all - an orphaned Registry entry in other words.

It is plausible that is what is going on in your case.

I'll await on how you go following the Article.

Reaction score
Could be, I just put two new images in my pictures this morning, debbies name appear as the debbies/imagefile..

Reaction score
I did some more checking see my image I posted. I do not have a Profilepath in there, I did open 1001

Attachments

• profilepath.png
    profilepath.png
    171.3 KB · Views: 407
Reaction score
Yeah, but you are in the wrong place. Regedit32 shows the path to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. You are in HKEY_USERS !!
this is where you need to be:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Ask a Question