SOLVED change user account name

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been asked.
A friend had ordered a machine about two or three years ago, at the time he had the vendor install Windows 7 on the system. He recently upgraded to Windows 10, no problems with it except he misses IE as it was.
The one question he asked me is if I new how to chang the name that shows when it opens. For a name that was used when they installed Windows 7 they had "User". Now whenever Windows 10 opens It shows " Hello User". He asked if I knew if was possible to find a site and insert his name instead. I don't know if that can be done.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Trident,

Tell your friend to do the following:
  • Press Winkey + R to open Run dialog
  • In the Run Dialog type: SYSDM.CPL | then click OK (or press Enter key)
  • This opens the System Properties window
    • On the first tab "Computer Name" click on the Change button
    • Enter the name you want then click OK

Re your friend missing IE. IE 11 is still on Windows 10.
  • In the Search box simply type Internet Explorer | press Enter key to open Internet Explorer 11

Happy Computing.

Regedit32

Reaction score
That could be (?) what you are looking for, but that will change the name accredited to the computer, not the username.

Perhaps what you are looking for is S;

Open the Runbox (Windows+R),
Enter lusrmgr.msc and OK
This opens Local Users and Groups.
Open the Users folder, right-click a user and select Rename .
Type a new name in the name box.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Enter lusrmgr.msc and OK
This opens Local Users and Groups.

I thought about that too Dave but they said:

---Quote---

"For a name that was used when they installed Windows 7 they had "User"."

---End Quote---

This was an option when you installed Windows 7 to give your PC a name.

Regarding the lusrmgr.msc command. That is fine if they are on Windows 10 pro / Enterprise, but if a Home user etc they won't be able to use this. In lieu of that they would need to go to:
  • Start | Settings | Accounts
    • If they have more than one account then go to "Your Account" in left pane
  • Then click "Manage my Microsoft Account"
  • Then when the webpage opens click "Edit Name"

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK. Your first suggestion could also be done through the more conventional windows 10 way, of course.

Settings - ,System.
Click " About", (on the left side) and click "Rename PC "on the right side.

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK. Your first suggestion could also be done through the more conventional windows 10 way, of course

:eek: Nice call - just pretend I anticipated left clicking Start suddenly stops working :confused:

magic 8-ball says you'll reply Winkey + I :p

Reaction score
LOL. With that anticipation, it's a whole new problem and possibly the least important would be changing the name of the computer/user.

Reaction score
Regedit32, Your first suggestion did not make a change in username, the second was fine. He pinned that to the taskbar and is happy.

davehc, we tried what you mentioned; changed the name and on restart it came back with "hello user".

Guess I didn't make myself clear. If you go into Cmd, type Set and enter it does show the domain and user names. The name after User shows "user" instead of his name.

Thanks for the help with Internet Explorer, that worked. He's happier than a "pig-in-a-poke". (Dating myself?)

Reaction score
davehc, he's not logging in with a name. He originally upgraded from Windows 7. The system opens without his having to enter a name. As I mentioned, the vendor likely entered the names "user" and "users"(domain) when setting up his machine. No big deal, maybe he'll get used to it.

I recall when I ordered my machine they also used a generic 'user' and 'domain' name. Having received all OS discs and drivers, I reinstalled Windows 7 and entered my name Ralph, as user, and another domain name. But, I'm not savvy enough to know where (registry?) those names were entered.

Reaction score
OK. I have never followed that path, but have continued with my usual daefault username. But I am surprised that it is possible to pass through the installation, to the desktop, without creating, at least, a local account. But, if the "user" is the current name of his local account, it is simple enough to change.

Reaction score
dave, that did it. A simple thing like changing the name in the user account. Really stupid of me. Thanks, from my friend and myself to you and Regedit32.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit32, Your first suggestion did not make a change in username, the second was fine. He pinned that to the taskbar and is happy.

Hi Trident,

Yes sorry about that, I read into your original post that you might be meaning the Computer Name.

You say your friend is not logging into Windows per se. Yet the display Ussername is User. To clarify then are you meaning your friend has a path of C:\Users\user rather than for example C:\Users\Trident?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit, his original path was C:\users\user, Trident happens to be the name I use on Win 10 forum. Haven't checked the path on his machine since changing the name. Thanks for the follow-up.

Ralph

r

Ask a Question