Changes after monthly update

Reaction score
Hello everyone - my first post.

It seems that every time Windows 10 updates, I have to spend time changing some of my personal settings back to the way they were before the upgrade. Today, for example, I noted the following:
1. The view from File Explorer had changed itself from List to Details in every folder. If I have a lot of files in a folder, Details is annoying and I prefer List.
2. My default settings for Word changed as well. I now have 1 1/2 spaces after each paragraph. Now I have to try to figure out where I made the changes so I can change them back.
3. My default PDF program changed as well. I have already fixed that.

I am not asking how to fix these specific issues but how to prevent these types of changes for occurring with every update. Also, can anyone tell me where "Custom Office Templates" in my documents folder comes from and how to blow it away permanently. Don't say "delete it" as it keeps coming back like a bad penny.

Thanks.

Bif

Reaction score
Howdy and welcome!
To touch on your first and second and third comment about programs changing after update's..this unfortunately is the nature of the MS beast as the "cumulative" updates are essentially new OS upgrades as this is how MS is releasing things these days,and in doing so it sets all of the defaults back to MS defaults and there is no way to prevent this unfortunately.(that Im aware of)

Reaction score
I appreciate your response. This seems wrong on so many levels. What's the point of having alternative ways of doing things if they can't be permanent? Further, the programming needed to avoid resetting my settings can't be insurmountable.

Bif

Reaction score
I feel your pain!...believe me the majority of folks on this forum have sore necks from the constant head shaking at the expense of MS and their very questionable method of doing...well..everything.All I know is with each cumulative update thus far I've had to go in and choose "my" defaults again..looking at it as a glass half full kinda guy..just look at how proficient we'll all be when someone asks us how to change default programs in Win 10! ..perhaps someone else will chime in with more info..
Sorry I don't have more for you!..but stick with this forum as the folks on here have helped many including myself..
Cheers

Reaction score
Every time there's a major update, all my defaults get reverted back to Microsoft's preferred apps. There is a reason they do this. Most of them "phone home". Problem is, I use virtually no Microsoft products, other than the OS itself. So, that means every time I have to reset my defaults for my video player, audio play, picture viewer, etc. Funny that it doesn't reset my default browser.

Ask a Question