Changing Pcs

Reaction score
Hi all.
Can any 1 tell me the easiest way to transfer all my data from my laptop to a new windows 10 desktop PC without incurring any expenses. :(
many tks in anticipation of any forthcoming answers.

Reaction score
You could purchase a program called PC Mover but that would incur an expense. I would copy the data you want to move to a CD-RW or USB then drop them in the appropriate Win 10 library folders. I would also create a back up, and, or a manual restore point on the Laptop before moving any data files.

Reaction score
I just found out that Windows 10 has a migration wizard. I have never used it or required a use for it.
Worth a try:
Press Win+R
Type in the run command "migwiz" (without the quotes)

Reaction score
Wish I'd known about Migwiz. I have just migrated all the data from a W7 machine to a new empty W10 machine. Copied the various user directories Documents, Picture **,Downloads to USB3 thumb drives and reloaded on the other side. Our PCs use Thunderbird for mail so the Profiles directory just moves across likewise with all accounts, mail, contacts and calendar items all in one go. Chrome bookmarks copied by signing into Google, Firefox by export/import to a file. We don't use IE.

I did NOT attempt to move any applications. Replaced Office 2010 by one of my licences for Office 2016, redownloaded several utilities or copied them ( the original downloads) from another W10 machine and re-installed.

I did some things via our NAS drive but that limits speed to 100Mbs ethernet ( it is an OLD NAS) but useful for some smaller stuff.

Reaction score
Successful! Always nice to hear. Enjoy Windows 10.

If that was for me...I have been enjoying Windows 10 since Insider build 9926. This was upgrading my wife's ancient ( Vista era) AMD machine to a truly modern Mobo and the latest Skylake I5 cpu (Z170 chipset and socket 1151)

Note that moves like this will be necessary next year:-

"In January 2016, Microsoft announced that it would end support of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 on Skylake processors effective July 17, 2017; after this date, only the "most critical" updates for the two operating systems would be released for Skylake users if they have been judged not to affect the reliability of the OS on older hardware, and Windows 10 would be the only Microsoft Windows platform officially supported on Skylake, as well as all future Intel CPU microarchitectures beginning with Skylake's successor Kaby Lake. Terry Myerson stated that Microsoft had to make a "large investment" in order to reliably support Skylake on older versions of Windows, and that future generations of processors would require further investments."

So next year I'll be migrating my machine which is a Haswell I7 as well...hopefully to an even newer generation CPU.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You could purchase a program called PC Mover but that would incur an expense. I would copy the data you want to move to a CD-RW or USB then drop them in the appropriate Win 10 library folders. I would also create a back up, and, or a manual restore point on the Laptop before moving any data files.
Many tks for the info Norton, i will give it a try.

Reaction score
I am considering buying a new computer with Windows 10, that has PC Mover (or a similar program). Will this transfer my existing legitimate copy of Office 2010 from my old computer with Windows 8.1 to the new computer with Windows 10? I seem to have read somewhere that Windows 10 will not allow this.

Reaction score
I'm not sure about that. I know PC Mover will not copy files to multiple drives. It will move files from C:-C: not C:-D: I haven't tried migwiz that comes with Win 10. Fortunately, I have the MS install disk, I backed up all my office docs first on Win 7 OS then installed Office on Win 10 with the install CD.

Reaction score
I'm not sure about that. I know PC Mover will not copy files to multiple drives. It will move files from C:-C: not C:-D: I haven't tried migwiz that comes with Win 10. Fortunately, I have the MS install disk, I backed up all my office docs first on Win 7 OS then installed Office on Win 10 with the install CD.
Guess I'm out of luck then. I do not have the MS install disk...mine came already installed on the computer when I purchased it. Any other suggestions? I may as well ride things out with Windows 8.1 on my existing computer rather than have to pay a yearly fee for Office 35.

Reaction score
Hi all.
Can any 1 tell me the easiest way to transfer all my data from my laptop to a new windows 10 desktop PC without incurring any expenses. :(
many tks in anticipation of any forthcoming answers.

Well the easiest way is to have all your data in the cloud (Onedrive or Google Drive) and all you have to do is point to the location (for as many PC's as you have). Eveidently you don't have a backup or your problem would be fixed. So if you don't want to use the cloud I would get a external drive and use it as a full time backup drive.

Ask a Question