Changing to local account option

Reaction score
So I accidentally signed in to a Microsoft account I don't even want to sign in with and would like to switch to a local account. According to the internet, there should be an option for that. But there isn't

http://prntscr.com/g50njg

(sorry for it being in dutch, but tl;dr: there is no change to local user button)

How do I change to a local user now?

Reaction score
I have Windows 10, not Windows 8
This might be a useful resource
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/how-to-switch-to-a-local-account.27/
OR
You could simply add a new local account as a member of the local administrators group and use that instead.
As I said, the switch to local account option doesn't even pop up and I have too much stuff I don't want to lose on the account I'm using right now that I can't use on the other account.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any chance that you might have a System Restore point available that pre-dates your having logged in with the Microsoft Account.
Not positive that, that will resolve your current issue but might be worth a try.

Reaction score
I have Windows 10, not Windows 8

As I said, the switch to local account option doesn't even pop up and I have too much stuff I don't want to lose on the account I'm using right now that I can't use on the other account.

Pretty sure you can't convert a MS account to a local account, you will have to create a local account all your data should still be available on disk most of your software will be accessible also APPs are a different story I don't use any so I'm not sure. Mostly all you will lose is Email, email will have to be set up in the new profile you won't lose any emails you'll just have to reset up the accounts. and you'll have to do all your personal windows settings again.

Don't lose your MS account user name and password you'll need them to access windows store and to access one drive or any cloud stuff you had in that account.

Once you set up the Local account you'll be able to switch between Accounts or log on to either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pretty sure you can't convert a MS account to a local account, you will have to create a local account all your data should still be available on disk most of your software will be accessible also APPs are a different story I don't use any so I'm not sure. Mostly all you will lose is Email, email will have to be set up in the new profile you won't lose any emails you'll just have to reset up the accounts. and you'll have to do all your personal windows settings again.

Don't lose your MS account user name and password you'll need them to access windows store and to access one drive or any cloud stuff you had in that account.

Once you set up the Local account you'll be able to switch between Accounts or log on to either.
I've tried this, I lost alot of my files

Reaction score
Sounds like your having issues? I have MS and Local accounts on all my computers and they share software and data with few exceptions. perhaps you need to share all drives/folders/files with all authenticated user accounts

Ask a Question