Check your Windows Defender protection engine version

Reaction score
Hi all,

check your Win Defender engine version, you should have ver 1.1.13704.0. installed, if you don't see that version number, run a system update and check again:

windef engine version.JPG

If you don't see that number go to the link (I cannot find a newer one) and follow their tips!:

https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/adl.aspx

Short story version, the hackers can manipulate your PC with a different version of the engine and introduce malware into your system!.

I got the info here (in German only sorry!) and it is quite recent!:

http://www.watson.ch/Digital/Windows/636206836-Windows-8-bis-10-mit-extrem-gefährlicher-Sicherheitslücke-–-das-musst-du-wissen

You should have something like mine (W10 Creators version):

windef.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wolfie I don't see your screen shot. I see a much different security centre, I'm still running 1607 ;)

Reaction score
Hard to explain, WEolfie. I have mine absolutely up to date, yet, this is what I have:

Capture.PNG

Looks like you are a bit behind with definitions?

Bif

Reaction score
I have the new integrated Security Centre option and UI if I go to it using search or other but I have the "old" UI if I click the task-bar icon?..but both read the same definitions and version..
See screen captures.

1.JPG
2.JPG
Capture.JPG

Reaction score
I have 1243.52.0 where you have 1243.39.0

I have the new cumulative update installed.

Bif

Reaction score
Perhaps this newest cumulative will set it straight..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just updated Windows defender only without the Cumulative update.
Engine Version 1.1.13.1704
AV definitions 1.243.74.0

seems like it came with the definition updates...

[edit]

just checked on my other laptop: AV definitions 1.243.80.0

2017-05-09_201338.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello to all,
Bif and Wolfie thanks for your help in resolving a similar issue I am experiencing w/ my Widows defender UI. Bif I have the exact issue as you do. One system opens and runs the Windows Defender Security Center UI and the other opens the Window Defender Antivirus UI. As I have posted previously, I have two systems; both have W10 version 1703, OS Build 15063.296 Engine version 1.1.13704.0. And today on download Tuesday the 'Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4016871)' was downloaded and it did not alter the UI issue that I see as well. Do these UI function the same?

Bif

Reaction score
Hello to all,
Bif and Wolfie thanks for your help in resolving a similar issue I am experiencing w/ my Widows defender UI. Bif I have the exact issue as you do. One system opens and runs the Windows Defender Security Center UI and the other opens the Window Defender Antivirus UI. As I have posted previously, I have two systems; both have W10 version 1703, OS Build 15063.296 Engine version 1.1.13704.0. And today on download Tuesday the 'Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4016871)' was downloaded and it did not alter the UI issue that I see as well. Do these UI function the same?
From what I can gather is they both serve the same purpose albeit from two UI's...not sure if it's by accident or design on behalf of Microsoft or not, but it is odd I must admit.
Perhaps someone else on here may have a more concrete answer, but as long as Defender is functioning properly and the protection is in place I wouldn't be concerned.

Reaction score
From what I can gather is they both serve the same purpose albeit from two UI's...not sure if it's by accident or design on behalf of Microsoft or not, but it is odd I must admit.
Perhaps someone else on here may have a more concrete answer, but as long as Defender is functioning properly and the protection is in place I wouldn't be concerned.

Bif, thanks for your post. yeah agree that it is odd and annoying. if I should come across a fix I will certainly post as a 'solved' . thanks again.

Reaction score
Wolfie I don't see your screen shot. I see a much different security centre, I'm still running 1607 ;)
Hi Norton,

have you not tried to update to 1703?, please take a look at the following link:

https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...ws-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/#post-63980

Hi @cyclist,

have you tried running troubleshoot?.

You can also try clicking on the download link (Get protected) and see if that helps here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security/portal/mmpc/default.aspx

Hi everyone else,

this is what I now have as of this morning (cumulative update kb4016871 installed today).
defender defs.JPG

Reaction score
Hi Norton,

have you not tried to update to 1703?, please take a look at the following link:

https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...ws-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/#post-63980

Hi @cyclist,

have you tried running troubleshoot?.

You can also try clicking on the download link (Get protected) and see if that helps here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security/portal/mmpc/default.aspx

Hi everyone else,

this is what I now have as of this morning (cumulative update kb4016871 installed today).
View attachment 5694

Hello Wolfie,
I am not sure if you had an opportunity to view my earlier post/reply. But, I did run the troubleshoot and while running under administrator it did indicate that it repaired some registry issue; however, it did not change the UI in other words, it opened the Window Defender antivirus center vs the Windows Defender Security Center that is currently on Creators Version 1703. I also, updated this morning the latest Cumulative(kb4016871) but it did not alter the UI. the Engine version etc matches that you posted. I will run the link that you posted to see if that makes a difference. I am not familiar with Get Protected can you please explain? Thanks again.

Bif

Reaction score
Just updated

I have the new integrated Security Centre option and UI if I go to it using search or other but I have the "old" UI if I click the task-bar icon?..but both read the same definitions and version..
See screen captures.

View attachment 5686 View attachment 5687 View attachment 5688
Perhaps it's just senility or my anal retentive disorder, but besides @cyclist and I is anyone else experiencing this Defender phenomenon?....
When I click the Defender task bar icon it opens up with the standard Defender Antivirus UI as it always has in the past, but when I use the search feature and type in "Defender" it opens up the Security Centre UI as I'm assuming it should...the question remains, should clicking the Defender task bar icon open the same Security Centre UI or the old as mud Antivirus UI?
I'm showing that I'm up to date on both UI's as of this morning..

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Not sure, Bif. The Defender pure is the one in the settings - Update and security, options (Your leftside picture)

The other is the more recently introduced security centre.
I dont have it on the taskbar, but I would guess you have the left one pinned there?

Bif

Reaction score
Yes Dave, left photo is pinned to task bar...from @cyclist OP on this matter, he stated that clicking on the old Defender task bar icon brought up the new Security Centre UI...if I understood it properly.
This is all probability for not, but would like to know if anyone else gets these same (or different) results.

Last edited:

Ask a Question