Chromium processes

Reaction score
Does anybody know what these are or why they run? At boot up the hdd goes crazy for say a half hour then slows some. But they are still there. I don't have Chrome installed so.....

Capturechromium.JPG

Reaction score
Just a thought. As I was posting the above I got the notice that it wants to install the next build so maybe it's related.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No idea personally.
I can say however that with Chrome installed and running I don't seen anything like what you are showing.
As a matter of fact Explore.exe is not a legitimate Windows or Chrome file.
Explorer and iexplore are but not Explore.
I would look more towards the other processes Like GamesBotSvc.exe and InstallAgent.exe for the culprit.
TaskMgr.PNG

Reaction score
Chromium is the open source version of chrome. The process name is still chrome.exe, and the description is chromium. I'd run malwarebytes and see if you're PC is infected.

Reaction score
Ok I'll do that. In the mean time the update happened at dinner time and I haven't been back to it yet.

Reaction score
My 2 cents. proxomitron is an outdated program and has compatibility problems with Windows 10. I would suggest you uninstall it, at least temporarily, and see if there are any improvements.
Also, explore.exe is not a windows component. It is listed as a logging virus. I would suggest, before you totally remove it from the startup panel, that you first right click it and go to the file location. Change its name from "exe" to "dub" or something equally ridiculous.. Restart your computer and see if you are rid of it in the startup panel.

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
After the update to 10130 and the reboot, the processes were still there and cranking. I went ahead and installed and ran MBAM and eradicated 136 bad guys and all seems well. Most of those were "GamesBotSvc.exe" related.
That was a recent install from an ISO and only had a few programs installed, mostly my favorite utilities, some which need lots of opting out during the install. I think I simply missed something.
Sorry I didn't get to try your advice davehc.

Reaction score
This install is bad with lots of stuff going wrong and just plain not working. I'm going to try a repair next.

Ask a Question