SOLVED Classic Shell

Reaction score
Is Windows 10 blocking installation of Classic Shell? I have tried to install it but it stops with a 'Problem with this windows installer'. Of course it may be the install program but just wondering.

Reaction score
Not something I use, but I just tried it and it installed without problems.

Version 4_2_1 Are you using the latest release?

Reaction score
Keep the .exe part, but rename the other
eg setup_4_2_1.exe to class.exe. But copy the original somewhere safe, so that you do not need to download it again.
You could also try right clicking the original and running in Administrative mode.

Reaction score
No joy with either. Despite Windows Explorer being closed the install program seems to think it is open. The message I finally get is 'There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected'.

Reaction score
Maybe a member who is using it can come in with a suggestion? For the purpose of this query, I have now downloaded three different versions, including the latest, and they all installed??

Reaction score
I've solved the problem. Using CCleaner -> Uninstall I found a Classic Shell (presumably my W7 version) still shown as installed. So I uninstalled it and then the W10 version installed without a problem.

There seem to be a number of rough edges to W10 upgrading :)

Ask a Question