Clean Install diehards, you are out of luck.

Reaction score
Download:esd-decrypter-v3 (google) and unzip to a prepared folder

Copy the content of the RecoveryImagefolder into the same place wheredecrypt.cmdis

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) in the same folder. (you may have to find the path in the Command Prompt) and type decrypt install.esd

Select option 3 or 4 (use 4 if you want to customize the installation)

It sounds a little high tech, but is very easy to perform-

Reaction score
..........Copy the content of the RecoveryImagefolder into the same place wheredecrypt.cmdis...............

RecoveryImage folder consists of 2 sub-folders (Drivers and OEMInformation) plus 2 individual files.
Do I open each sub-folder and copy the contents or do I simply right click at RecoveryImage folder and click Copy ?

Reaction score
............Open a Command Prompt (Admin) in the same folder. (you may have to find the path in the Command Prompt) and type decrypt install.esd........................

Problem.............. What install.esd ?

I have Install.wim instead.
Image 4.jpg

Reaction score
Hmm. Mine has the esd. Same size as the wim. Type that instead

But. I think you should maybe browse a little and read up in this subject. I don't wish you any more trouble than is apparently already coming your way.

fwiw. I did have the opportunity to install from an ISO - it comes to the same thing except for the double picture in the sign on.

Reaction score
Further research/investigation resulted more bad news.

1.jpg

The screenshot excerpt is taken from another forum . Contents were written by Kari. I am sure you know of him.

w10

Reaction score
FYI, my clean install went well; however, I did encounter a strange bump in the process that I cannot explain. Here's what happened:

1. Checked my recovery folder for the presence of the install.esd file. It was not there, I had the install.wim (same as davidhk129).
(Note: I did have the folder options set to show hidden files and unhide protected operating system files)
2. On a hunch, I did an explorer search for "esd" (without quotes), and guess what, it found the install.esd in the same location as the install.wim file.
3. So, I opened the recovery folder and NOW the install.esd file was there and the install.wim file was gone? (note davehc's comment about them both being the same size).
4. Can't explain how or why this happened but I took a chance and processed the newly found install.esd as follows:
5. Downloaded ESD Decrypter from here, ran it and selected option 4.
http://winaero.com/blog/get-iso-image-for-windows-10-build-9860-for-a-clean-install/
6. About 30 minutes later, I had my ISO (processing time will vary here).
7. Download Rufus and ran it to convert my ISO to a bootable USB drive (left all options at default).
8. Once done, did a clean install of build 9860; all went well.

For the record, I did a clean install of the first Win 10 download and then upgraded to build 9860 initially. How or why my install.wim file was changed to an install.esd file by doing a simple explorer search is beyond me?

Reaction score
As we don't know how many builds are going to come our way, it could be a futile exercise to keep making bootable ISOs. (I am using Laptops with optical drives, so am still using bootable DVDs). But, in any case, it is a bit of fun so I am keeping ISOs for al the builds - so far.

By the way, just posted this on another forum, you can do it bthe hard way and convert the WIM to and ESD and then to an ISO

http://www.ehow.com/how_5750929_convert-wim-file-iso-file.html

Ask a Question