SOLVED Clean install W10

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to do a clean install of W10.
I can boot from the disk OK, it then ask for my Key.
I have tried the key from the Control Panel, System, but that seems to have not enough sets of letters & numbers, only 4 not the normal 5.

I then tried my W7 key that is installed on the computer, that has 5 sets of letters & numbers, but the system rejects it!

Any thoughts how to proceed?
Barry

Reaction score
I contacted Novatech, I bought the computer from them, they advised 18.8.2015.

Microsoft say it is meant to be possible, but I do not know how the activation process works doing it that way I'm afraid. Microsoft have not provided this information. My best suggestion really would be to install 7 and upgrade straight away, for minimal clutter in the new OS [10:23:25] <Barry>: OK, many thanks.

Reaction score
There are precise instructions on this, throughout the web and on this forum, but, to get to the nitty -

Assuming you are wanting the "free" offer of Windows 10.
First, you must accept the upgrade. This recognises your existing key, be it Windows 7/8.1 and records it with the Microsoft server. At the same time, temporarily - in case you need to revert back to your earlier windows OS, This means that, should you choose to stay on Windows 10, your old key is no longer needed. Having done that, and.I presume from your post you have the ISO, you can now clean install. At the first screen of the install media, when you are asked to insert a key, you leave it blank. Ditto in the final stages. This is a new MS method, and a key is no longer required.

Your last remark, would be a very good path to take, if you have not yet done the upgrade! quote
My best suggestion really would be to install 7 and upgrade straight away, for minimal clutter in the new OS unquote.

Reaction score
OK thanks davech.
I did find the following information:
Please be aware that you cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a clean install on first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do it through Windows Update or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function in Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started).

I got this far, but nothing happing after clicking Reset this PC!

So reinstall W7 and the upgrade seems the only way for me to go.
Or stick with my upgrade to W10.

Reaction score
If you are an average user, Barry, and know your way around Windows 7, imho you won't get much out of windows 10, except a total new , and needed, learning experience.

Reaction score
You may well be right davech, I trying to think what I could list as being better with W10, but there is not a lot I could tell my brother who is hanging back on the upgrade.

Reaction score
I have now done the clean install of W10
There is a very good guide of how to do this in Computer Shopper, dated 10th October 2015.
Page 99 . In a nutshell I needed to delete the W7 partitions, not format, then the install went OK.
Then skip the windows key and after it was installed it validated OK.
W10 looks and feels much better now.
I then went to Belarc Advisor to retrieve my new windows key.
www.belarc.com/free_download

Good luck, and thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Belarc gave me the old ......3V66T Windows 10 Pro key instead of the ........T83GX key. This after I rolled back from 10525 to 10240. Curious.

Ask a Question